Water exchange - just want to confirm I have the right setup

Danforth

Gold Supporter
Feb 19, 2019
Orlando, FL
Hello everyone! I'm doing a water exchange to bring my CH and CYA levels down a bit. I think I have a good grasp on the process but wanted to share a photo of my setup to ensure I'm doing it correctly. Fill water hose is on the right going into the bucket on the steps. The submersible pump is on the left in the deep end. Pool water temp is 79 degrees and the fill water is 78. Thanks!

IMG_1504.jpg

Be sure your pool pump is disabled.

It will work OK. Your waters are nearly equal in density and temperature so you may find it less efficient. Go at least 10-20% beyond what you wish to exchange.

Success! Ran the water exchange for 12 hours or so today. Ended up with CYA of 50 (down from 70) and CH of 375 (down from 525). TA went up by 10 ppm. I added some MA to counter that and the resultant pH level. Also added some FC to stay at target.

Curious, is there something in tap water that shows up as CCs? After the exchange last night, I got a test result of 1 CC. I also got that result this morning when testing. Both times, the test turned pink immediately after the first drop of R-0003.

Tonight, the CC test went back to typical results, turning slightly pink after the 5th drop of R-0003 and going back to clear after 1 drop of R-0871. Also the pool only used up 1 ppm of FC today.

I’m confident that I never let the FC drop below the target range during the exchange, so I’m curious if city water contains anything that can interfere with the test. Whatever it was burned off in the sun today, apparently.

Thanks!

Some municipal water systems add chloramines to the water to prevent corrosion. If it goes away quickly, no worries.

Reactions: Danforth
Yes, some water supplies do that.... let it breath for an hour or two and retest. Also note that with the bird cage you're limiting a bit of the UV rays that take care of a lot of the CCs in pools. So you may see some longer.

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Danforth
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.