Water Chemistry Help

Using Pool Math, it looks like about 50 lbs of calcium chloride would raise CH to about 320 and reduce CSI to about -.3. which gets me to a good place on CSI. Think that's my next step. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Would you be concerned about the "other" 6% in the SS7300? Is there a SDS on the Morton Professional Grade Calcium Chloride Pellets? The Product Data Sheets do not seem to be consistent with the SDSs. The SS7300 PDS says 100%..... the SDS says 94%!

On another note, pH in the pool seems to have stabilized around 7.6. Got that reading when I tested today. Had been reading 7.0 (or below) for at least a week before I started adding soda ash.... so nice improvement. I think the calcium hardness increaser before closing will do the trick to get CSI where it needs to be.

Question: how soon after soda ash is added to water is it safe for swimmers to go in. I'm always adding in the deep end.

Outdoor pool is closing Monday, so my attention is turning to the indoor pool which is a bromine pool. I have never maintained a bromine pool. Can anyone give me the "skinny" on maintaining proper water chemistry with bromine? What are the bromine levels I want to maintain? Do I do all the same tests that I would do on a chlorine pool with the exception of CYA?

I have been monitoring this thread. I don't have enough experience with the Calcium Chloride brands to help guide you. I tried to get @mknauss to weigh in, he must be otherwise pre-occupied. I have vinyl pool, so CH is not an issue for me. Maybe try the search function on the forums? I just know that most recommendations were to make sure there are not bad impurities in the CaCl. After a review of a 1/2 dozen threads, if you get an SDS of 90% + CaCl you should be good.

Can't help you on the Bromine. I would suggest a new thread for your Bromine question.

After a review of a 1/2 dozen threads, if you get an SDS of 90% + CaCl you should be good.

Can't help you on the Bromine. I would suggest a new thread for your Bromine question.
Sounds good on the CaCl. I will likely go with the SS7300 since the SDS says it's 94%. Also cheap and easy to pick up at Ace nearby.

Will start a new thread for my bromine pool maintenance questions, as you suggested. Thanks.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Can anyone give me the "skinny" on maintaining proper water chemistry with bromine?
7 pages worth :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see a gallon of this stuff (see pic) along with about 3 gallons of liquid chlorine (12.5%) in the storage room to be used for closing the Association's outdoor pool tomorrow. Can anyone comment on this Winterizer that the pool comapny is putting in the pool. Is this good stuff or unnecessary?

IMG_2357.jpg

Quick google search suggests polyethylene dichloride is a product called "Polyquat." I have no experience with it, but there's at least some advice here on TFP for residential pools and winterizing. It does get used up over time. It looks like a polymer algaecide and can be effective especially if there's a pool cover or there's a crust of ice on the top of the water. Also it's a very viscous fluid that should probably be premixed before dosing if the pool water is cold. Maybe the condo folks can help with anecdotal history of the pool freezing over in the Chicago winter? I'd take that as an almost certain bet.

@chem geek any thoughts on a condo pool using this as a closer chem?

I see a gallon of this stuff (see pic) along with about 3 gallons of liquid chlorine (12.5%) in the storage room to be used for closing the Association's outdoor pool tomorrow. Can anyone comment on this Winterizer that the pool comapny is putting in the pool. Is this good stuff or unnecessary?

View attachment 375637

It is Polyquat 60 and often used for closing. It is a good insurance policy over chlorine.

Read Algaecide - Further Reading

It is Polyquat 60 and often used for closing. It is a good insurance policy over chlorine.
Thanks. Makes me feel better that they are using the right stuff. Looks like their process is to add about 3 gals of Cl, the Polyquat, then drain below return lines and cover. Haven't seen it yet, but they tell me it's a mesh cover.

Thanks. Makes me feel better that they are using the right stuff. Looks like their process is to add about 3 gals of Cl, the Polyquat, then drain below return lines and cover. Haven't seen it yet, but they tell me it's a mesh cover.

Here's how the pool company closes the Association's outdoor pool. Sad! No wonder they have to dump all the water and power wash it when opening in the spring. Hoping I can help change this next year. The second pic is what my pool (now my daughter's pool) looks like this time of year.

IMG_2436.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

Bring all the photo proof that you can to sell your case to the board. Show them the TFP clear thread to really WOW them.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.