Hendersonville, TN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Good morning everyone, had some work occuring on our pool deck yesterday and somehow the contractor spilled what he said was about a quart of water-based paint into the our salt water pool. They have cleaned as much as they could, but I'm concerned one about the water itself and two the filter media. Any thoughts on what actions I should take? The water is certainly cloudy right now, but I'm simply not sure what action as I should take next.

Sorry to hear of this event. Ask the contractor for the paint can and ensure it is water based.
If there is a film on the water, throw tennis balls or dryer balls in the pool to absorb the paint.
I would not drain the pool as it could cause the residue to adhere to the walls. Bush the tiles .
Allow the filter to capture the film. Then clean your cartridge with water. Don’t let the paint dry or it will ruin your cartridge.
Continue to run your pump.

Last edited:
Confirmed to be water-based. No film on surface. Water just real cloudy. I was not aware it had occurred until they had completed whatever cleanup they did. Pump ran at 100% all day yesterday. Back down to 30% as part of my winter program. Was not planning to run aggressively again today, but now thinking maybe I should. Appreciate the feedback @HermanTX.

Was not planning to run aggressively again today, but now thinking maybe I should
I would until it's clear. It's diluted 55,000:1 so I would guess that's enough to save you from harm, but I'd still want it out sooner (high flow through the filter) than later.

I'd be brushing a couple times a day in the meantime also. There's probably no need, but it would bother me if i didn't. :ROFLMAO:

Pay special attention to the area above the waterline that might dry like Herman mentioned.

I would until it's clear. It's diluted 55,000:1 so I would guess that's enough to save you from harm, but I'd still want it out sooner (high flow through the filter) than later.

I'd be brushing a couple times a day in the meantime also. There's probably no need, but it would bother me if i didn't. :ROFLMAO:

Pay special attention to the area above the waterline that might dry like Herman mentioned.
Running at 100% and pressure is 30psi at filter. That is the highest it has ever been. Filter pressure normally runs about 14psi at 70%. Feels like pressure is ok, but curious if you guys have a view. I will require them to clean and/or replace media when this is all said and done.

Any concerns on the heater coil? Heater is on backside of filter so hopefully ok, but I do not want these guys to get away without everything being back to 100%.

Appreciate the idea(s) on brushing. Also threw 3 tennis balls in. Cannot hurt no doubt!

Reactions: HermanTX
Running at 100% and pressure is 30psi at filter. That is the highest it has ever been
Its also higher than you normally run, so you have to compare apples to apples.

Feels like pressure is ok, but curious if you guys have a view.
The 25% psi / cleaning reccomendation is just that, a blanket reccomendation. If your flow is fine, the filter likely is too. But. Be on the lookout because at some point, it may not be.
I will require them to clean and/or replace media when this is all said and done.
Who normally cleans it ? It's a very simple DIY job, and the old adage of 'if you want something done right' applies.
Also threw 3 tennis balls in.
I was amazed how well they worked for normal body oils / sunscreen and keep 3 in the pool at all times. They find their way to a skimmer and await all the surface crud to do the same. Occasionally a kid would find one and play with it and 10 mins later it would have found it's way back to the skimmer.

Reactions: HermanTX
Who normally cleans it ? It's a very simple DIY job, and the old adage of 'if you want something done right' applies.
I do everything with the pool. But with it being cold out, I think I'll let them clean it. They are a pool company too so they'll have plenty of experience cleaning it... :laughblue:

Double the filter pressure indicates the filter is getting clogged and is not filtering as well as it should. Clearing your pool will be about good filtering.

I would order a new set of filter cartridges to swap in.

Then try and clean the removed filter cartridges. The “paint” may not clean off the cartridges well.

It may take one or two new sets of filter cartridges to be sacrificed before the pool is clear again.

It may take one or two new sets of filter cartridges to be sacrificed before the pool is clear again.
Oh my, I sure hope not. I will likely lean into the new cartridges though. Same company who built it and ironically enough this was all caused by delayed warranty work on the deck. These guys...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good morning everyone, thought I would share the pool is clear this morning. Ran 100% until evening, backed down to 70%. Brushed walls and floor twice and placed 3 tennis balls in pool. It was still really cloudy last night under the lights, but looks good and clear this morning. Will be curious to see how things look again with lights this evening.

I'll keep the group posted, but sent an email yesterday evening formally requesting they extensively clean filter and heater as well as replace the filter media.

Appreciate everyone who responded. This community goes a long way to help solve what at times feels like major problems.

Reactions: Newdude
Good morning everyone, thought I would share the pool is clear this morning. Ran 100% until evening, backed down to 70%. Brushed walls and floor twice and placed 3 tennis balls in pool. It was still really cloudy last night under the lights, but looks good and clear this morning. Will be curious to see how things look again with lights this evening.

I'll keep the group posted, but sent an email yesterday evening formally requesting they extensively clean filter and heater as well as replace the filter media.

Appreciate everyone who responded. This community goes a long way to help solve what at times feels like major problems.

I also believe the paint will settle out of the water and not necessarily all go through the filter. Brush!

I also believe the paint will settle out of the water and not necessarily all go through the filter. Brush!
Yes, I agree with you based on what I'm seeing. It's like pollen that settles in the spring, the floor has been covered with it. I've now brushed 3 times. Will likely brush at least one more time today maybe two. Unfortunately leaving town tomorrow morning so that maybe the extent of it until my return.

Yes, I agree with you based on what I'm seeing. It's like pollen that settles in the spring, the floor has been covered with it. I've now brushed 3 times. Will likely brush at least one more time today maybe two. Unfortunately leaving town tomorrow morning so that maybe the extent of it until my return.

Do you have a pool vacuum?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.