Silver Supporter
May 30, 2020
Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Hayward sand filter with a waste/backwash spout on the top at the side. Currently to drain or backwash, we have a piece of 6' PVC pipe that we set around that spout. Problem is that the water always goes to the same spot because neither the spout/port or the PVC are flexible and it's ruining that spot in the grass. I guess the best solution is to use a garden hose but I need an adapter to fit between the 1.5" waste spout and a standard garden hose. Suggestions on what I need? I promise I did try Googling but anything plumbing is not my forte and it easily overwhelms me. Also, what about the volume of the water that comes out of the waste port compared to the smaller diameter of a standard garden hose? Do I need to worry about that? The PVC pipe we use is wider than the waste port so it's not an issue.

Since you have a one speed 1hp pump, you will over pressure the system with that much reduction in diameter. You should find how to connect your waste either to sewer or Storm drain if permitted by law.

Reactions: borjis
You may wish to look into getting a 50' length of backwash hose. You can get these on Amazon, at a pool store or maybe even Lowes or Home Depot - among other places. This will allow you to route the hose to a location of your choice. Are you on septic or sewer? If sewer, that may be an option to route your backwash water if your municipality allows it.

Does your house have gutters and/or a french drain around it? I have a lot of erosion around my pool pad on the corner of the house because the gutter downspout drained directly onto the pool pad for 2 years. Also the sediment filter purge valve dumped right in the same place. If there's any elevation change on your lot, you might consider doing some kind of buried corrugated drain tubing to at least get the water away from places where erosion might be an issue.

You got photos?

Here's some pics I just grabbed. The set up is at the back of the property, furthest from the house so no gutters or drains around and the sewer connection is at the front of house so it's not hear the sewer either. You can see the set up we currently use with the PVC pipe and it puts the water out right under the fence and it just kind of pools there then. I also have picks of what it's doing to the yard. I was hoping to connect to a hose because it will fit under the fence and can dump water further to the back of the property beyond the fence.

Attachments

• 20210830_110136.jpg
    20210830_110136.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210830_110224.jpg
    20210830_110224.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210830_110316.jpg
    20210830_110316.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210830_110328.jpg
    20210830_110328.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210830_110350.jpg
    20210830_110350.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210830_110529.jpg
    20210830_110529.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 14
You may wish to look into getting a 50' length of backwash hose. You can get these on Amazon, at a pool store or maybe even Lowes or Home Depot - among other places. This will allow you to route the hose to a location of your choice. Are you on septic or sewer? If sewer, that may be an option to route your backwash water if your municipality allows it.
this could work. I assume you just clamp it to the waste port?

You would attach it with a hose clamp. Some backwash hoses include the clamp. These hoses are somewhat weak and tend to split, but they are inexpensive. You could search HD, Lowes and Harbor Freight for "discharge hose" for other options. You would need to find the correct fitting connect the 1.5" PVC to the hose. Here's one example.

Last edited:
Reactions: V___25
Depending on what the other side of the fence looks like, you may want to consider a more permanent (buried) solution, assuming you're not breaking any local code or HOA rules or otherwise damaging your neighbors' property. Or if you want that extra water to feed your grass you might consider a perforated pipe that'll spread the love around as it drains.

Another option to consider depending on local conditions and frequency of backwash might be some kind of dry well. Let the water perk into the ground thru gravel instead of killing your grass and eroding your topsoil. Dry well - Wikipedia

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the suggestion on the backwash hose. I picked up a 25' one from the local pool store and it works perfectly. It fits right under the fence and I can angle the water further down the hill. The end of the hose kind of acts like a noodle-man a little bit so the water moves around :)

This is very simple and you will in no way damage your pump by discharging it to a water hose. Go to the hardware store and ask for help getting from 1.5" PVC to hose threads. It should only be three fittings to adapt to it. Maybe $5. Don't deadhead the pump for very long or you will have problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.