SE Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
This evening I received this interesting email from In The Swim warned warning about non-EPA labeled chlorinating products:

“Dear Valued In The Swim Customers,

We wanted to make you aware of recent consumer product safety news related to chlorine pool tablets sold on Amazon and other third-party seller marketplaces under imported brands originating from China and other countries. These products have not been properly vetted by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). As of March 22, 2023, chlorinating tablets sold under the below brand names do not bear the required U.S. EPA label, and could cause harm to swimmers, the environment, and pool equipment:

• Rayyakicg
• Womtri
• Mr.Bee
• Superpool
• Yumitis
• LushRoyale
• Adevit
• Wisive
• Lonko5Ding
• Flyjoy
• G-Mood
• Ghantoy

If you have purchased or used chlorine tablets under the above brand/product names, we urge you to immediately stop using the product. Only chlorinating products with the EPA label can be trusted to keep pool water safe and free from harmful contaminants and can be assumed safe for people and the environment. We have notified Amazon and the EPA about these important consumer and environmental safety concerns.

For more details on what to look for when reading pool sanitizing and chemical product labels, especially for these crucial EPA labeling requirements, please refer to this quick-read blog post.

Thank you for being a valued In The Swim customer. We look forward to a safe and enjoyable 2023 swim season.

Sincerely,

The In The Swim Team “

Here’s the link to the blog mentioned in the email:

Apparently, Leslies is warning pool owners as well.

• Wow
Reactions: PoolStored
Bing AI tells me...

Yes, the EPA does regulate pool chlorine products. The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) requires manufacturers of pool chemicals that kill or control algae and bacteria in the water — including chlorine tablets, chlorine pool shock, liquid chlorine, and algaecide — to register those pool chemicals with the EPA¹. You can check if your pool chlorine or algaecide are EPA approved by looking at the label on the package¹.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/31/2023(1) Pool Chemical Safety and Mandatory EPA Labeling: What You Need to Know. https://lesliespool.com/blog/pool-c...atory-epa-labeling-what-you-need-to-know.html Accessed 3/31/2023.
(2) Status of Chlorine Product Availability and Pricing | US EPA. Status of Chlorine Product Availability and Pricing | US EPA Accessed 3/31/2023.
(3) Swimming Pool and Spa Chemicals Certification | NSF. Swimming Pool and Spa Chemicals Certification Accessed 3/31/2023.
(4) February 1999 R.E.D. FACTS - US EPA. https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/reregistration/fs_PC-020501_1-Feb-99.pdf Accessed 3/31/2023.

Bing AI tells me...

Yes, the EPA does regulate pool chlorine products. The Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) requires manufacturers of pool chemicals that kill or control algae and bacteria in the water — including chlorine tablets, chlorine pool shock, liquid chlorine, and algaecide — to register those pool chemicals with the EPA¹. You can check if your pool chlorine or algaecide are EPA approved by looking at the label on the package¹.

Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/31/2023(1) Pool Chemical Safety and Mandatory EPA Labeling: What You Need to Know. https://lesliespool.com/blog/pool-c...atory-epa-labeling-what-you-need-to-know.html Accessed 3/31/2023.
(2) Status of Chlorine Product Availability and Pricing | US EPA. Status of Chlorine Product Availability and Pricing | US EPA Accessed 3/31/2023.
(3) Swimming Pool and Spa Chemicals Certification | NSF. Swimming Pool and Spa Chemicals Certification Accessed 3/31/2023.
(4) February 1999 R.E.D. FACTS - US EPA. https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/reregistration/fs_PC-020501_1-Feb-99.pdf Accessed 3/31/2023.

Would any of this also apply to other pool chemicals? I noticed the stabilizer I use (Puri Tech) doesn’t seem to have any EPA labeling. Should I be concerned?

Would any of this also apply to other pool chemicals? I noticed the stabilizer I use (Puri Tech) doesn’t seem to have any EPA labeling. Should I be concerned?
Chlorine is listed since it is considered a pesticide. I don’t believe Cyanuric Acid or other pool chemicals are listed as pesticides.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.