Neil1b

Oct 11, 2021
Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
New to this great site......and after searching for hours and reading......here is my first post.

I have an intellicenter i10ps andvsf pumps, 400k mastertemp, clean and clear 520, etc. With automation.

I have a raised spa that spillovers into the pool.

I am wanting to add my ic60 and an automated bypass valve to isolate the heater and bypass it when not is use (only when heating the spa)

Question is........where do i put the ic60? So that when the bypass valve is open and not routing water thru the heater, it will still make chlorine while the pumps are running?

Thanks all in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

The SWCG should be located after the heater and the bypass. That way it can generate chlorine in pool and spa mode.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
My setup is similar to what you are looking to do, other than I have an IC40. Hopefully this works - first attempt to add a photo.

The line from the filter comes in from the left. You can see the valve which either feeds the heater or bypasses it left of center. After the T to recombine the flow is the SWG on the right.

I violated one design rule here due to space constraints. Pentair wants a longer straight pipe before the SWG. So far that does not seem to cause any issues.

2 Caveats - At first I missed the instruction calling for the valve to be partially open even during bypass. You want a small amount of treated water flowing through the heater at all times. Fixed that soon after I got the heater running correctly with RS-485. Second - there is a bug in the automation and after using the heater it goes into "cooldown mode" pretty much forever and will not swing the valve back to bypass mode. I work around this by turning off the main pump relay for a minute after a swim, when closing out the pool for the evening. Once I turn the pump back on (thus restarting the heater controller flow switch), the heater will set the valve back to bypass. A minor annoyance but I wish Pentair would spend some time to actually fix all the bugs this system has.

The bypass makes a very noticeable difference. I use GPM flow on the pump rather than RPM to keep a constant minimal flow over the SWG flow sensor, and the pump runs much slower when the bypass is... erm... bypassing. Is that even a word?

Hope the picture helps - Dale

IMG_1181.jpeg

My setup is similar to what you are looking to do, other than I have an IC40. Hopefully this works - first attempt to add a photo.

The line from the filter comes in from the left. You can see the valve which either feeds the heater or bypasses it left of center. After the T to recombine the flow is the SWG on the right.

I violated one design rule here due to space constraints. Pentair wants a longer straight pipe before the SWG. So far that does not seem to cause any issues.

2 Caveats - At first I missed the instruction calling for the valve to be partially open even during bypass. You want a small amount of treated water flowing through the heater at all times. Fixed that soon after I got the heater running correctly with RS-485. Second - there is a bug in the automation and after using the heater it goes into "cooldown mode" pretty much forever and will not swing the valve back to bypass mode. I work around this by turning off the main pump relay for a minute after a swim, when closing out the pool for the evening. Once I turn the pump back on (thus restarting the heater controller flow switch), the heater will set the valve back to bypass. A minor annoyance but I wish Pentair would spend some time to actually fix all the bugs this system has.

The bypass makes a very noticeable difference. I use GPM flow on the pump rather than RPM to keep a constant minimal flow over the SWG flow sensor, and the pump runs much slower when the bypass is... erm... bypassing. Is that even a word?

Hope the picture helps - Dale

View attachment 417604
Can you post some more pics of the all the plumbing?

This is the best shot I have that shows the plumbing related to the heater bypass and IC40. Are you looking for some different angles of that, or do you really want ALL the plumbing. I have that, if you want to see the monster :) If you just want say, a reverse angle of the bypass I can certainly take one of those. Let me know what you want and I will post up this evening.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.