Walt Disney Classics

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
A lot of you that know me here know my family’s love for Disney. There used to be a collection called the Walt Disney classics collection. A work of love for 20 years thst Walt always wanted to see happen but unfortunately didn’t happen. Without getting into the details it was a very limited produced collection for the fans. It died back in 2008 ish when the economy fell. The collection always bled money but Disney kept it going for the fans. It was al created in-house. The decision was made to end it on a high note vs making cheaper pieces.

we collected from 2000 to the end. We were fortunate cause of how large our dealer was to be gusts of theirs for many private dinners with disney voice talents and animators. And not like in the parks for those who know I mean like 1 on 1 cause we were just tagging along with our dealer while they took whoever was in from the company for dinner before they flew back after a signing. Amazing memories. My kids never got to experience all of this. They only get to go to Disney with the friends we made over the years and hear the stories. Imagine if my daughter got to have dinner with the voice of Alice. Man on man.

many way I wanted toshare the last Xmas set they did over a 4 year span. They would release 1 part of the scene each year. I never had the set in one place to display cause we didn’t have a table long enough but now we do.
It’s in our Disney room. The room that has the curios I designed and my buddy built over a 2 year period at his shop. The picture doesn’t do justice but they are 8 feet high. 15 feet one direction and 12 ish other wall. When Dave brought them into the house we have no idea how the floor held the weight after the 5/8 inch thick glass shelves went in.

we sit in there and just tell stories about each piece. They are all signed from over the years of meeting the animators who sculpted them. The collection grew because of all the experiences we had over the years. It started as we wanted to collect but it ended up being a story behind each piece. Ones that were found by fiends for us that were long retired. One given as gifts when we got engaged and married. The first one given to me by my wife’s stepfather that started the craze and was also the very first piece ever made. Down to one of the rarest pieces ever created but not for sale that is hidden deep in a closet so it doesn’t get damaged. 1 of 9 sales kits that Disney used to show the detail and reason why the collection was so expensive when they pitched it to future dealers. And the piece I put my wife’s engagement ring in when I proposed along with our cake topper for our wedding. This piece is a masterpiece due to the fact half broke in shipment due to its large size and how delicate the legs of the horses were. It only got one cause my dealer got the last 3 that didn’t break. I wasn’t going to buy it due to breakage but when I saw it in person I had to do it.

thanks for listening to my story down memory lane.
3BB4D889-1A40-4A36-A19F-B542C3D28EF5.jpegD9EE7D27-66B1-4B13-A9CB-0C80D31AB7FD.jpeg05E13188-766F-40C5-AB04-9A43BDB3AF9E.jpeg

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Jim! That is SO pretty! That case alone is unreal!!! WOWZER! Then add in the art pieces it is like a museum! Any way you could take and share pics of more of the pieces. I would LOVE to see the one that held the ring!

Third pic. The Cinderella coach. I put it inside there. Lol. I guess what separates this collection from any other ceramic line is they don’t use filler. They use gravity and physics to give movement other cheaper lines use filler clay as grass, trees, thicker clothing to give stability. Disney made it lifelike. Of the legs are too thin move the body to balance the weight. Pack it better and hope for the best. Truly amazing. We were told Walt always wanted to see his movies in 3D. Like what is behind cruella de vils bed? We never see it in the movie. A lot of characters we only see from certain angles but in 3D u have to show it all.

Holy cow! That is just awesome! Thanks for sharing. A collection like that, with the stories to go along with it, is truly impressive. And that wall of cabinets is a wonderful way to exhibit it!

--Jeff

Thanks guys. I have to throw a pic up of how I lighted it up. I used under cabinet strips down the sides of each cabinet left and right. That way I have even lighting from top to bottom so the pieces down block top down light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.