Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Pool cover was installed end of last year and sheer decent wall has these bolts for pool cover wire anchors. these suppose to be stainless steel but they are getting rusted. i am afraid if i don't fix them now eventually i will have rust drip on wall. i think its the salt water that's rusting them. there are few that are on the side where they don't get hit with pool water, those are fine. anything i can do or maybe look for better quality anchors? anyone can recommend anything?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0560.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0560.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 27
  • thumbnail_IMG_0561.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0561.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0563.PNG
    IMG_0563.PNG
    33.6 KB · Views: 29
Very hard to fix them now that they are anchored into the wall. The installer should have used either brass or a better grade of stainless steel (316/316L). I would use Naval Jelly (Loctite makes a spray on version) to clean up the rust and repassivate the surface. You want to make sure to clean off the naval jelly with clean water (not pool water) and dry it really well (used compressed air and/or a heat gun on low to really dry it up). Then I would coat those anchors with a clear mechanical grease, something with a thick consistency like vaseline (but not vaseline ...). You want to exclude water as much as possible. So rather than leaving them exposed, you might go to the hardware store and see if you can find a decorative bolt that you can screw into those anchors to keep water out of them. It may take some hunting around to find the right kind of bolt.

Very hard to fix them now that they are anchored into the wall. The installer should have used either brass or a better grade of stainless steel (316/316L). I would use Naval Jelly (Loctite makes a spray on version) to clean up the rust and repassivate the surface. You want to make sure to clean off the naval jelly with clean water (not pool water) and dry it really well (used compressed air and/or a heat gun on low to really dry it up). Then I would coat those anchors with a clear mechanical grease, something with a thick consistency like vaseline (but not vaseline ...). You want to exclude water as much as possible. So rather than leaving them exposed, you might go to the hardware store and see if you can find a decorative bolt that you can screw into those anchors to keep water out of them. It may take some hunting around to find the right kind of bolt.
thank you i will apply thats jelly. ordered some Vinyl Flexible End Cap lets see how they work.

To add what Joyful listed. Get a round wire brush with twisted wire handles, you can purchase a whole set with different sizes at Harbor Freight, then cut off the handle leaving 2" of the handle on, put it in a cordless drill and go nuts on the rust. View attachment 437561

👍

Just use brass bristle brushes. Steel brushes can leave behind iron particulates that can then cause the rust to get worse.

Reactions: almostakeeper
so i did exactly what you recommended and everything went well . they are nice and clean and i vinyl caps i got fit well. i did drop some naval jelly in pool maybe about quarter round. I tried to get it but i guess it just dissolved and disappeared. do i have to worry about it ?

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
so i did exactly what you recommended and everything went well . they are nice and clean and i vinyl caps i got fit well. i did drop some naval jelly in pool maybe about quarter round. I tried to get it but i guess it just dissolved and disappeared. do i have to worry about it ?

Nah. It’s mostly phosphoric acid and a tiny bit of sulfuric acid with some thickening agents. Such a small amount won’t harm anything.

Reactions: SunnyP2000
Glad it worked out well for you. Maybe pull the caps every so often just to make sure the anchors are staying dry and free from moisture. When you install the cover bolts, a good dab of grease on the anchors and bolt threads should keep everything clean and protected throughout the winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For added protection pickup a can of CRC Marine Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor. Back in my Seadoo riding days we’d use it to cover the engine components to prevent rust. The folks that rode in saltwater swore by it more than those of us that rode in freshwater. The spray creates a thin film and works well. Reapply as needed a couple times a year.

Glad it worked out well for you. Maybe pull the caps every so often just to make sure the anchors are staying dry and free from moisture. When you install the cover bolts, a good dab of grease on the anchors and bolt threads should keep everything clean and protected throughout the winter.
here are some updated pics. I do have another questions. 2 of the anchors fell out when i removed the cover early spring. i guess they were never anchored in well. its just hollow cinderblock behind the stone. i was thinking of picking up epoxy tube and basically gluing those in. what you think? anything i have to worry about doing it that way?

epoxy link

Attachments

• IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 20
What does the anchor look like? Can you access the C block that the stone is attached too?

It would be nice to be able to fix the back of the anchor into the c-block but if it’s just a blind hole then epoxy is probably your best bet.

Try using Loctite PL500 construction adhesive. It is very strong.

What does the anchor look like? Can you access the C block that the stone is attached too?

It would be nice to be able to fix the back of the anchor into the c-block but if it’s just a blind hole then epoxy is probably your best bet.

Try using Loctite PL500 construction adhesive. It is very strong.
yeap i actually have pl500 handy i used to build firepit. anchor is all round and flat . i think i'll use the pl500 adhesive . thnaks

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
It looks more like the screw was rusting than the anchor.

The original Loop Loc anchors should be good stainless steel.

Is this what you have?

View attachment 453847

View attachment 453846
its not loop loc cover , its from company called Merlin Industries. i think its just as good as loop loc. its sold more in North east. Hoeevr i am not sure if my PB used the bolts from merlin or he got them from somewhere else. i did clean them and cover them with rubber cap. its almost time to use them.

Reactions: JamesW
Those look like the standard "drop in" style anchors. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Red-Head-1-5-8-in-x-3-8-in-Drop-In-Anchors/3006409
Those work well in solid concrete but not so sure about cinder block. In any case to be effective they would need to be flush with the block surface, not with the decorative stonework. Epoxy might work. Thread a well-greased bolt into the anchor first to prevent the epoxy from getting into the threads.

If epoxy doesn't hold the best bet might be to drill the hole deeper to get into the solid grout (assuming the cinder block wall was grouted solid) and then somehow extending the thread, perhaps a length of threaded rod and a coupling nut.

Those look like the standard "drop in" style anchors. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Red-Head-1-5-8-in-x-3-8-in-Drop-In-Anchors/3006409
Those work well in solid concrete but not so sure about cinder block. In any case to be effective they would need to be flush with the block surface, not with the decorative stonework. Epoxy might work. Thread a well-greased bolt into the anchor first to prevent the epoxy from getting into the threads.

If epoxy doesn't hold the best bet might be to drill the hole deeper to get into the solid grout (assuming the cinder block wall was grouted solid) and then somehow extending the thread, perhaps a length of threaded rod and a coupling nut.
yeah that's exactly what they look like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.