Waiting on testing kit

Apr 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
I'm very new to taking care of the pool myself and am waiting on my new test kit to arrive. In the meantime I just have the pool store test to rely on and it shows low CYA. Advice on how to raise it? Can I wait for the test kit to arrive or do it now?
FC 1.45
Cya 22

Welcome to the forum!
While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
What test kit did you order? Can you fill out your signature? See Create Your Signature - Further Reading
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Follow up question: If the FC in the pool should be between 2-5ppm , are we assuming that the pool loses all the FC in the pool each day? Is that typical or just because the CYA is so low currently?

I ordered the TF 100 test kit - signature completed!
Thanks again.

That range of FC would be for a CYA of 30 ppm. And yes, normal pools lose between 2-4 ppm FC per day during swim season. Thus chlorine must be added EVERY DAY. Either through the use of liquid chlorine or created by a SaltWater Chlorine Generator.

Reactions: BrooksBoysPool
TA question: Just did some tests and here are my numbers. What do I do about the ta? Pool School says not to change TA just to reach a target number. I guess I just want confirmation that I shouldn't do anything about it right now, just keep an eye on it.
I just added CYA with the sock method two days, it's just now dissolved. Don't know if that factors in here.
FC 4
ph 7.5
TA 200
CH 550
CYA 35
temp 72

I so appreciate all the help. Should I be starting a new thread for each question?

Just maintain pH in the 7's and the TA will come done. You should test pH every few days as it will rise quickly with that level of TA. Test your TA when the pH is high and you need to add acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.