Waiting on decking...Audio/Speaker ? - SWG Gunite 18’x 40’ in NJ

My pool is the same size and runs from 3.5 to 6 feet. 6’ is plenty deep for jumping in for both adults and children. Water depth is 6’.

On ladders, I often hear people wish they had. I’ve had a few occasions where relatives could have used one. And we’re all only one injury away from needing one to get in and out.

A large adult will bottom out doing a cannon ball in 6'. Deeper is always safer.
I was thinking about...if going 6 ft why not go 8’ since most aren’t standing in 6’ anyways. Plus if we have a decent size shallow end then should have plenty of room to hang out. I guess it depends on the size of the pool, 36’ should be long enough to have best of both?

Thanks,
Jim

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Scheduling a follow up meeting with PB to go over equipment updates and design...like going with VS pump, gas heater...if we added a water feature like a waterfall would that run off a separate pump or not? We will not have a built-in spa, plan to add a stand alone at some point.

I need to get the specific equipment numbers from him as well.

Is it better to have a gunite pool shot this fall and have everything finished in the spring if the PB can accommodate with scheduling or have then start everything in the spring?

Reactions: Vukota12
Met with PB today, discussed going to 40’ long x 18’ wide rectanwith 8’ deep end and removing the spa. This would now make the tanning ledge run the width of the pool and be 18’ x 6’.
Need to get an updated rendering.
Can switch to gas heater which is my preference.
No additional cost for these updates!

Discussed VS pump, he thought the 2 hp pump would be fine but will do VS if I want. I think his thought was that some people run their VS pump at higher levels all the time, but not sure about.

Will do robot in place of Polaris TR35.

Need to decide if we are going to do water feature, there is a separate company in NJ that partners with PBs that I will be following up with, or if that will totally blow the budget.

Any feedback or changes to consider is always welcomed!

Thanks,
Jim

My view is that water features are overrated. They raise pH, can get salt or calcium deposits/scaling, need to be blown out, are subject to mortar getting broken in the winter, are loud, need to be run regularly, cost more money, take up deck space, look unnatural, get outdated, don’t flow as expected, etc. Mind you, I don’t have one to get the benefits, but I hear about the above from folks. Just a few things to consider. All added features have “costs”. Ok, so I listed everything I could possibly think of, but a few of them may hit home with you. Some plusses are they can look cool if done right and can drown out noisy neighbors/spouses/kids.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My view is that water features are overrated. They raise pH, can get salt or calcium deposits/scaling, need to be blown out, are subject to mortar getting broken in the winter, are loud, need to be run regularly, cost more money, take up deck space, look unnatural, get outdated, don’t flow as expected, etc. Mind you, I don’t have one to get the benefits, but I hear about the above from folks. Just a few things to consider. All added features have “costs”. Ok, so I listed everything I could possibly think of, but a few of them may hit home with you. Some plusses are they can look cool if done right and can drown out noisy neighbors/spouses/kids.
My wife’s brother just bought a house that had an existing pool and a fairly simple rock waterfall which she liked...more for just the relaxing sound that it brought to the while backyard...so we will see, really need to get a better idea of the water feature design and cost to see if is something we will add or not.
Thank you for the feedback, helps us to consider both the positives and negatives for what wouldn’t be an inexpensive add on.

As per the choice between a 2 hp or a VS....Get the VS!! Come 2021 that will be a federal law that all pool pumps over .7 hp *must* be VS. Don't fall for his push, you'll be glad to have the VS, and many power companies offer rebates on them.

Maddie

As per the choice between a 2 hp or a VS....Get the VS!! Come 2021 that will be a federal law that all pool pumps over .7 hp *must* be VS. Don't fall for his push, you'll be glad to have the VS, and many power companies offer rebates on them.

Maddie
For shallow end water depth...do you have a recommendation? Do people do 4’ water depth or is the wall height 4’ typically?

Permits finally were approved, had to wait a little for tree removal but dig started this week.
I’m not sure how to post pics yet.
Rebar is supposed to be this weekend...

Reactions: bmoreswim
He should credit you back for spa somewhat. Way more expensive to build a spa amd pipe it compared to adding length to a tanning ledge. If hes enlarging the pool amd staying even price wise then that's great

Our intention was not to have a built in spa, that was just the very original designer’s mock up. So we decided to not have the spa from the start when we started talking pricing so there was no need to credit back (yeah, built-in spa would have been more expensive by a good bit and I know you helped sway us to a stand alone being in NJ) They did extend the length of the pool from original design of 36’ to now 40’ at no additional cost which was nice.

Permits finally were approved, had to wait a little for tree removal but dig started this week.
I’m not sure how to post pics yet.
Rebar is supposed to be this weekend...

You can copy and paste pics right into the editor window. No need to attach or upload.

Rebar was done today, they’re gonna clean up near the house. Gonna have patio go near the house so we have a sitting area, eating table, and outdoor kitchen area. Would also like to have a stand alone hot tub. Open to suggestions on where best location for hot tub would be.

1604803590128.jpeg

Reactions: RU4Cycling2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.