Waiting for help - shut off equipment?

hepmama

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Sep 12, 2015
Dallas TX
Hey experts, I neglected my pool for several weeks while my mom was ill prior to her death about 2 weeks ago. The skimmer baskets had a lot of fine debris in them and were probably not pulling much water through. The cleaner bag was full of the same. The pump runs but doesn’t seem to be pulling much so I think my filter maybe almost clogged. I don’t do my own filter clean so I scheduled the pool people to come out. Earliest they can come is Monday.

My question: should I shut off the equipment until then to avoid burning up my pump? I’ll be out of town for 3 of the days and not here to monitor it. Pool was already green when I looked under the leaf cover so I dumped in liquid chlorine. I know it will be a mess but it already kind of is.

If you are unable to clean the filter and eliminate the algae, turn off the pump . The filter is likely very plugged.

You will need to learn how to clean your filter if you are going to clear this pool.

If you are unable to clean the filter and eliminate the algae, turn off the pump . The filter is likely very plugged.

You will need to learn how to clean your filter if you are going to clear this pool.
Thank you, I will turn it off. I tried to learn after my husband died but found I didn’t have the hand strength to loosen stuff and got overwhelmed quickly. I’m willing to try again if I can manage the physical part. I also need to find someone to show/teach me. 😬

UPDATE! I got home from out of town and this morning decided to go try to clean my filter (after watching a good YT video twice.) I think I did it correctly and it looks like my pump is working well.

Next question for you - since you said I will need to clean the filter to clear the pool it sounds like I will need to clean the filter again soon - when will I know it is time to clean it? Do I watch the pressure gauge? I appreciate your patience with my basic questions!