VSP dropping RPM

pickardc

Apr 4, 2020
Oakland, MI
I have a Hayward VSP that not matter what speed it runs at will drop RPM for a second every few min or so and then go right back to full speed. Its enough if a drop to cause the Heater to report low flow and occasionally the flow sensor as well. I checked the voltage come into the pump and its solid 120V and never drops. I saw no drop in LV single as well. For the life of me I can't find any reason for this to be happening. Grounding is all tight as well. Its on the same circuit as the heater but it does this with and without the heater running.

That pump and I think most VS pump has alarms if the voltage is more than 10% out of spec so I don't think it would be a voltage issue. If the temperature is too warm or the pump is overloaded it should alarm as well.

Sounds more like it is a control board issue. Is this pump being operated in stand alone mode or via an external controller?

Its controlled by an OmniLogic controller. Its very odd it runs norma and then randomly drops the rpms for a split second then right back up. There is no pattern to the drop but happens frequently and at any speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That pump, as do most VS pumps, have alarms for voltage drop so I don't think that would be the problem. Plus a change in voltage does not change the RPM in a VFD.

If the voltage dropped enough to hit an amp limit, some motors reduce the rpm.

If the Superflo VS is wired to 120 volts, it will limit the rpm such that the amp limit is not exceeded.

I agree on the low voltage causing an alarm.

However, I would still check the voltage to see if it's doing anything unusual.

The voltage might be dropping some, but not enough to trigger an alarm depending on what the alarm trigger point is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.