VS Pump clogging filter faster?

Jul 9, 2018
Davenport, FL
Hi all, so I recently switched to a VS pump, but I noticed at lower speeds the cartridge filter gets clogged faster. With the old 1hp pump, the filter would get cleaned a couple times a year and the flow wouldn’t really change.

Now at a low rpm I find a speed that looks like it works great, then a week or two later the flow drops off, I clean the filter and the flow jumps right back up.

I think I read here that at a high speed it’s possible for the pump to force particles through the filter? So at a low speed am I just now able to truly filter out smaller particles in the water?

Chemestry is fine, no algae and water is crystal clear. My primary water pollutant right now is dog fur and pollen.

I have skimmed hairnets but I took them out as I dialed in the new VS pump... I’ll have to try them again.

I think I read here that at a high speed it’s possible for the pump to force particles through the filter? So at a low speed am I just now able to truly filter out smaller particles in the water?
That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Your old 1-speed was an energy-hog workhorse constantly blowing stuff through, but it is still surprising you only had to clean the filter once or twice a year. I have to rinse my single cart about once a month or so, but my 2-speed is almost always on low. Perhaps the hairnets will give the cartridge some relief. If that doesn't work, you might still consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to see if there's any unusual FC drops even though the water appears clear.

M,

I find the opposite to be true... The lower the speed the longer between cleanings...

I have two rent house pools with DE filters.. When they had single speed pumps I had to backwash often.. Since going with a VS pumps, I now only clean them twice a year and never backwash any more.. My pumps run at 1200 RPM, because that is want turns on my SWCG's flow switch.. At that speed the filter pressure on the DE filters is 3 or 4 lbs and I still have plenty of flow back to the pool.

I could see "maybe" forcing something through a sand filter, but I just can not see higher speeds forcing anything through a cartridge filter. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.