indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hello! Everything on my pool is finally working great! The only real issue I see is that when I remove the skimmer basket to clean the debris out, a vortex develops and the pump starts to cavitate. When I put the basket back in, everything goes back to normal. Is it recommended practice to shut the pump off when cleaning the skimmer, or is something else wrong? The water level is about 1/2 way up the skimmer box.

R,

Your pump should not be able suck all the water out of the skimmer unless your weir door is stuck up.

What kind of pump do you have?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Well, not sure what kind of pump, and I'm not sure what a weir door is.....lol. First time pool owner, and my skimmer just has a basket and a hole in the bottom. When I remove the basket, a vortex forms after about 30 seconds. I will try to get my pump spec when I get home. Sorry for not being much help.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
I'm not sure what a weir door is.
The weir door is the flap at the skimmer mouth that floats up and down. If stuck in the up position, it will restrict water flow.

EDIT...Looks like I lost another typing challenge to @Mdragger88

All skimmers have a limit to how much water can flow through them. When the flow rate is too high the level can drop and circulation can develop. It’s not cavitation that your hearing, it’s air being pulled into the suction line and causing the pump to lose prime.

Your pump speed is too high or you are pulling too much on the skimmer.

Is the the only suction source on the pump the skimmer? Do you have a main drain? Are they separately controlled at the equipment?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the information. I think there are a combination of things working here. The original pump system had a drain connection and a skimmer, the drain has long since been sealed up, so it is just the skimmer at this point. I would assume that this makes the pump a bit oversized for that single conduit. Also, I believe my water level was a little low. I added about an inch of water, and it does seem like it was needed. It still vortexes when the basket is removed for more than a minute or so, but I don't keep it out too long.

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.