SteveiB

Sep 12, 2020
Durant, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've recently learned that lower voltage at the pump will cause it to fail prematurely. What is an acceptable voltage at the pool pump with it running? My 1.5hp Pentair pump measures about 112 volts and 8.9 amps while running. Is this acceptable?

I'm concerned the wiring to my pump may not be sufficient, which could have caused the issue I experienced last summer: Pentair Dynamo Pump Quit Working | Trouble Free Pool .

The maximum voltage drop should not exceed 5%.

You have a voltage drop of 11 volts, which is 8.9%.

With a starting voltage of 123 volts, the maximum drop should not exceed 6 volts.

Is it a single continuous wire from the breaker to the pump switch and the same size wire from the switch to the pump?

What is the distance from the breaker to the switch and the switch to the pump?

No, it's not on a dedicated breaker. It is 12AWG the entire length from the breaker to the pump.

I'm estimating the total length of the wire (breaker to pump) to be about 220 feet.

9 amps at 220 feet on 12 AWG wire should only be about 6.3 to 6.9 volts of voltage drop.

Since you are getting 11 volts drop, that points to some sort of problem in a breaker, switch or wire connection.

The extra resistance due to a corroded breaker, switch or connection is generating about 45 watts of heat, which will cause the bad component to overheat.

Check all components and connections and replace anything that looks old, corroded or worn out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
pump2-jpg.162336

What was done to fix the bad connection at the pump motor terminal?

Why is the pump not bonded?

What was done to fix the bad connection at the pump motor terminal?

Why is the pump not bonded?
The pump was under warranty so I replaced it. I'm concerned this connection may have failed due to lower voltage (112V) at the pump. I did another test yesterday by turning on all the lights, TV, and ceiling fan that's on this same circuit. With everything running, it dropped to 110.5 volts.

As far as I know the pump never got too hot. Other than sweeping the pool, I only run the pump at night. Quite often I would check the pump by putting my hand on it to see if it was hot. After a normal overnight run, It would get very warm but never anywhere near too hot to touch.

I may be seeing more of a voltage drop than expected because the wire is longer than I've estimated. I've measured from the pool to the house but I'm unable to accurately determine the length of the wire running thru the attic and walls. The house is only 2 years old so I'm doubting there's issues with the electrical.

This was our first summer with the pool. I plan to bond the pump and pool prior to this spring startup. We never run the pump when someone is using the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.