Vinyl Wearing at Waterline

Hi all,

Does anyone know what could be causing my Vinyl to be wearing along the waterline?
The vinyl is only about 3-4 years old from what I've been told - I've only lived here 2 years. I switched to the TFP method last year and haven't had any issues since :)

My only suspicion is that it could be from the sun as it seems to be worse on one side of the pool than the other. If it is only being caused by the sun, is there a way to minimize the damage?
It feels very rough to the touch(only at the waterline) and I can even scratch some of the color off pretty easily.

Any help is much appreciated.
~30,000 gallon, In-ground, and only been using bleach for the past year.
Numbers below are as of this morning.

FC:6
CC:0
pH:7.5
TA:70
CYA:45

As an aside, I live in South Carolina and the summers here are pretty brutal. I had just heard the liners would last a little bit longer than this.

With PROPER care a liner can last longer. You are doing things right BUT before you go there...............not so much. I don't know if there is anything you can do to "fix" the liner but agree it is the sun as much as anything as my liner is the same way. One area is worst than others and it is the part that gets the most sun. I do NOT scratch or mess with it except for a gentle brushing to keep it clean.

Kim:kim:

Liner failure happens at the water line on the sunniest side of the pool. You will get a horizontal tear at that worst spot, and then you know it is time to replace. Before this happens, you will tend to have your liner bleached out, where it turns white and loses its color pattern.

A few things possible on this. The liner could be older than you think. It could just be a cheap liner. At some point during its life, the pool chemistry could have gotten way off to weaken the vinyl.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.