LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
Metro Detroit, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We purchased a non-brand "venturi" leaf cleaner and have used it several times this winter. The pool water never froze solid for longer than a few weeks, making it easier to remove leaves as they fell from the nearby tree - which doesn't drop leaves till December.
Using the 5-gallon bucket and submersible pump method recommended by @ScudBar61, we have had pretty good success removing most leaves and debris from the bottom.
I had posted we had plumbed with pvc pipe, but it's actually 1 1/2" pvc electrical conduit recommended by the inspector a number of years ago. @1poolman1: My husband said we are unable to attach a hose bib to the pump pipe because they don't make that type of fitting for the electrical conduit.
We no longer use a winter cover - long story - and have found this method to work well with cleanup and also adding chlorine with this crazy up and down temps and tinges of green in the water.
We need to remove more debris because of the tree buds falling off during these high wind days and dropping in our pool.
This has become a game changer for us and we're sure opening our pool will be less of a pain in the neck and a much quicker process than it had been in previous years.
Next will be tackling the Grackle problem in May. I need to find our "dead bird" props and get them ready. They worked well last year. @My wife's pool boy Thanks for the great advice.

Reactions: Newdude
Not sure what inspector in his right mind would recommend electrical conduit for a plumbing installation, but it will work, I've seen it before.
1.5" PVC conduit, 1.5" PVC pipe, same stuff, same size. If it can hold the flow for the pool, it can have a fitting plumbed in.
1.5"S X .75" FIP X 1.5"S tee and a hose bib.