Variable speed pumps? Are they as good as they claim?

Forgot to mention that I also sold my old pump on craigslist for $130. I guess a speedstir may be in my future.

A Speedstir is one thing I will not do without again. It is so worth the money spent.

My old single speed pump is going on CL this weekend. They still have some good value here in Arizona since people think they were outlawed entirely by Title 44 (Psst...hey buddy...want to buy a pool pump). :)

Rollercoaster, I did just that. I switched to the Hayward Max Flo 1.6HP SP2303VSP. Thanks for the support and encouragement. I'm just a bit timid being that I'm a newbie and being that I wasn't sure if it was the right route to go.

Thanks you guys for the info. I found a Pentair Sta-Rite Intellipro VS-3050 on craigslist and I am having the bearings replaced now. In total it will come in under $200 for everything including bearings. Cross your fingers for me. Anyone have any idea what would be a good amount of time and speed to run it for a 30,000 gallon pool?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anyone have any idea what would be a good amount of time and speed to run it for a 30,000 gallon pool?

There is no magic formula. Those of us with salt water chlorine generators (SWG) must run at a speed to provide sufficient flow to it. Myself, I like the water to be always circulating when the pool is open. I run at 2800 when I want good skimmer action (like on a windy day and stuff blowing in) and will run at full 3450 when I want quick clean before company. I typically run at 1400 the rest of the time - basically silent and having flow. Again, I like to have the constant water movement/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.