Variable speed pump heater automation

Jul 15, 2018
taylor
Recent I purchased an IntelliFlo3 VSF. This thing is absolutely amazing and efficient. However, I learned real quick that heating at low speed caused my heater to run WAYYYY longer than normal. Which cost me a ton compared to normal start-up. Which also outweighs the extreme cost savings of this pump. Which is massive. $80-100/mo based on the app watt usage. I noticed that pentair has an IntelliConnect that allows you to hook up a heater and temperature sensor. Does anyone know if I can automate my setup with this? That way I can run it at extremely low speed while the heater isn't on, and when it runs the heater based on the temperature sensor, run the pump at the highest flow rate my heater is rated for?

What model heater do you have? Please put it in your signature.

A gas heater puts out a fixed amount of BTUs. As long as the flow is greater then the heaters minimum flow rate the maximum heat gets into the water. Increasing flow does not change the amount of heat into the pool or spa.

An IntelliConnect can control a gas heater and let you run your IntelliFlo3 below the heaters minimum flow speed when the heater is not on.

What model heater do you have? Please put it in your signature.

A gas heater puts out a fixed amount of BTUs. As long as the flow is greater then the heaters minimum flow rate the maximum heat gets into the water. Increasing flow does not change the amount of heat into the pool or spa.

An IntelliConnect can control a gas heater and let you run your IntelliFlo3 below the heaters minimum flow speed when the heater is not on.

This is contradictory to all I've read. Water sitting in a heat exchanger at high temperatures is way worse than more less warm water coming in. Which takes on heat better. I've already noticed less usage on my energy company app after running my pump at a higher speed.

My heater is an older Hayward H150. It works great. I don't have any reason to replace it anytime soon for automation. An external setup can easily control it, and I'm ok with adding things like a temperature sensor to allow third party control based on whatever temperature setpoint. Basically shifting the thermostat to the application instead of the heater. Now if it ever gives out on me, I will replace it with something more modern day. I like the intelliconnect because my pool is simple, and its reasonably priced for automation. Plus I want to control my pool light. All I have is a light, pump, and heater.