Variable Speed Pump for Above Ground

Sjdvn2

Jun 18, 2020
Michigan
Hello all,

I have an Esther Williams 24' round above ground that my dad, brother and I installed ourselves probably 20 years ago, when we were kids. I ended up buying the house and the pool still stands. We replaced the liner last year and it's had a couple pumps.

The original pump was a 2 speed, and we always ran it on low 24/7 unless the vac was hooked up. It now has a Hayward Power Flo Matrix. The pump is a beast, but it's a single speed and hard on the wallet (even running it on a timer).

I'm considering changing it out for a 2 speed again, but my parents new house in Florida has a pentair VS motor on their inground pool... it is super quiet and sips electricity.

Looking around, I found Hayward makes a VS for above ground pools, but no one seems to carry it. Other than that, in not seeing much.

2 questions:
1. It's it worth pursuing a VS pump, or do I settle on a 2 speed?
2: Can I use an inground pump? I know the biggest difference is an inground pump needs to be able to prime which is not necessary with an AG pump, but im also wondering if you can mount an inground pump right next to the pool, like my current pump is.... I'm thinking in terms of can it get wet, or is it designed to be in a dry separate area?

Thanks for your help, and if anyone has suggestions, I'm open to anything!

Also I'm in a cartridge filter.

Hey sjdvn !! So with your short season in MI, it will take several seasons to recoup the extra VS savings over the 2 speed. Most folks choose not to make that extra investment, but you certainly could if you wanted to.

The IG pumps are designed to get wet. Most are outdoors and get rained on frequntly. To top that off, most of us northern folk throw a plastic bag over it and let it sit buried in a snow drift for half the winter. I bring my stuff indoors because it was spendy, but i am one of the few who do.

If you have a few Benjis burning a hole in your pocket, go for it. For the short season up in Mich i doubt you will get your moneys worth, but you can also check if the utility company has a rebate that will help you out. Two speed pump is just fine. You can hard pipe an AGP , theres plenty of threads that describe this.

Good point, I didn't even think of the short season taking forever to get my moneys worth....is there a way to convert the power flo to a 2 speed or is it best to get a whole setup? Thanks for the quick replies!

Also, hard piping is interesting. What is the advantage there? I bring everything indoors in the winter (pump, filter, hoses)

Its much more reliable than the cheap flex stuff that uses hose clamps. Many an ABG owner has found a flood due to those both. It also can be bigger diameter with more flow. The pumps you are looking at can greatly out perform the typical ABG pump, especially if its the free ones that come with the pool.

I believe what Felipe was referring to above me was how to convert solid pipe to make the connections at the pool which is designed for the other stuff. The returns and drains usually have some sort of propietary fittings that dont easily swap to pvc. But like he said, many folks have figured it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.