Variable speed pump confused on best strategy

Chungus

Gold Supporter
Jul 14, 2019
Texas
My power rates are constant. They don’t have peak and non peak rates so that isn’t a factor.

Running the pump wide open 24/7 for that matter really isn’t a cost concern either.

That being said I read ideally the water should be turned over once a day. With my 32k gallons 23GPM running around the clock would accomplish that. I believe my salt cell needs a minimum flow of 25 GPM +/- 5 GPM to work properly.

I don’t know how accurate it is but with my pump wide open at 3450 RPM screen logic reports 70 GPM And 2365 watts used. This would cycle all the water in 7.6 hours or three times a day.

Turning the pump down to 1950 RPM reports 30 GPM, and 410 watts used. This would cycle all the water in 17.8 hours.

My main pump draws only from the two skimmers. My auxiliary pump for water features pulls from the main drains. Skimming action seems much better at 70 GPM than 30.

From a purely power consumption standpoint 8 hours of 3450 RPM uses 18,920 watts. 24 hours of 1950 RPM uses 9,840 watts, roughly half as much but at the expense of what seems to be weaker skimming.

What should I set the darn thing at? I really don’t care about the cost I just want what is best for the pool. Is there any benefit to turning the water over three times a day vs just once? I don’t want to just be wasting money for no reason with no benefit but if it it is better to cycle it more I don’t mind the cost.

There is no need to ‘turn over’ the pool water. Many people find that the pump running 100 RPMs higher than the SWG turns on skims just fine. (you go 100 RPMs higher to allow for flow fluctuations like slightly clogged filter) Calculate your SWG runtime and start there. If you feel you need more skimming, run the pump longer. Many of us just let it run 24/7 at 1200 ish RPMs.

Turnover of pool water is a myth.
First function (as you have a SWCG) is to run the pump long enough each day to create the chlorine you need.
Second function is to skim the water of debris to your satisfaction.

So you can run your pool pump however long or at whatever speed you like as long as you achieve those two functions.

Last edited:
Reactions: setsailsoon
Higher speeds will skim better, if cost wasn't a factor for me I'd run mine at near full speed for 14hrs or more, just to keep the Crud off the water, I try to balance power consumption and manual vacuuming.

For a couple weeks last year before I got my VS, I ran my lump nonstop and I was surprised at how much cleaner it was. Versus 8ish hrs a day

Thanks for the replies. I have an automatic cover and it is closed probably 21 hours a day anyway so I don’t just have a ton of debris to deal with. For the past four months I have been running it 24/7 at 3450. Honestly I have been gone a lot working and am just now digging in to how to best set this all up. The SWG is a variable in itself as I have an IC 60 and it keeps up running 24/7 at 40%. So I could conceivably run less hours and turn the SWG up. I think I will just trying leaving the SWG at 40%, run 24/7, and lower RPMs. Sounds like it is more of a trial and error process than an exact science.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.