Variable Speed Pump AND SWG Questions

mthorwart

May 6, 2019
Penndale, PA
So, having difficulty understanding a new set up...
I 'had' a plain old DE filter with a timer. Timer threw power on, pump came on. Used liquid chlorine. Timer shut off, pump motor shut off.

Now I have a Hayward VS pump and a Pure Chlor SWG. I assume I need the timer still. I tried programming the pump to run a schedule, but when it shuts off the SWG stays on, and indicates a water flow warning. That's bad, right? I can't leave it that way. Hence I need to use the original timer to kill power to the SWG.

Unfortunately, the timer kills the power to the VS pump too. Will it remember my settings, or move back to a default speed?

New equipment, and I'm floundering. Thanks so much for any help you can provide! Sincerely appreciated!

Mike

Mike,

Move the pump's electrical connections in the timer, from load side (output) to the line side (input).. Leave the SWCG's power connected to the load side.

This will give the pump constant AC power.. Set a program in the pump's control panel and then set the timer for the SWCG to run "inside" the hours the pump is running..

As an example.. If you set the pump to run 8 am until 8 pm, then set the timer to run 9 am until 7 pm. This way, if the pump and timer are not in perfect sync it won't matter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm researching SWCGs right now, and I'm finding that some explicitly allow the flow switch to be used as a primary control (i.e. to be powered always), while others require the control box to be powered with the pump. Check the installation manual for your SWCG. That said, even if allowed by the manufacturer it's better to time them together.

J,

Just because the idiot that writes the manual does not understand the problem does not make it right... :mrgreen:

The iChlor is the only exception that I know of when running with the IntelliFlo.. They can talk together so the cell knows when the pump is off.. And it also has a flow switch.

Jim R.

J,

Just because the idiot that writes the manual does not understand the problem does not make it right... :mrgreen:

The iChlor is the only exception that I know of when running with the IntelliFlo.. They can talk together so the cell knows when the pump is off.. And it also has a flow switch.

Jim R.

It may depend whether the SWCG includes a separate flow switch that's potentially more robust than one that's either integrated or not present. The manual for the CircuPool RJ+ series, which has an external flow switch, says:
When used with variable-speed or other electronically controlled pumps, you may wish to wire the Control Module directly to your power source. This will allow the pump to determine when the Cell is energized or dormant by activation of the Flow Switch.

While manual for the CircuPool SJ series, which does not, says:
For operation, the Control Module must be wired in to the pump's power source so that both turn on and off together (see diagram on page 17). For variable speed pumps, use a timer to coordinate SJ run time with full-flow pump operation.

I do agree that it's a much better idea to use a timer for the SWCG and coordinate, or even better to use the same timer (many VS pumps can be set up to remember the speed and pick it up when they get power again). But there are enough ways for them to get out of sync that I'd feel better knowing the flow switch *can* be a primary safety.

It may depend whether the SWCG includes a separate flow switch that's potentially more robust than one that's either integrated or not present. The manual for the CircuPool RJ+ series, which has an external flow switch, says:

While manual for the CircuPool SJ series, which does not, says:

I do agree that it's a much better idea to use a timer for the SWCG and coordinate, or even better to use the same timer (many VS pumps can be set up to remember the speed and pick it up when they get power again). But there are enough ways for them to get out of sync that I'd feel better knowing the flow switch *can* be a primary safety.
Thanks! I have a Hayward THP VS pump. If I'm reading this right, it will can be programmed to pick up where it left off?

Thanks! I have a Hayward THP VS pump. If I'm reading this right, it will can be programmed to pick up where it left off?

You'd want to dig into the manual and see if it addresses this. I know the Pentair IntelliFlo pumps (which I have) can be set to run 24/7 at a fixed speed (by setting the schedule to 23:59), and others have used that with an external timer. I can verify that after a 2 day power outage the clock on ours was wrong but it continued running the schedule as it thought it should be, so I'm pretty sure if it was set to 24/7 it would work with an external timer.

However, you still have to be careful -- I don't know what the Hayward controls are like, but on the Pentair if you press the Run/Stop button and leave it stopped (when I empty the pressure cleaner bag and don't want to disconnect it, for example), it would stay stopped and not run on the next powerup.

Using the pump’s onboard timer and controlling the SWG with a simple Intermatic timer, (set to come on 1/2 hour after the pump, and off 1/2 hour before the pump) is a simple and safe solution. Should the timers ever get out of sync, the SWG flow switch is still there as a safety backup. But the flow switch should not be used as the primary switch. It was intended to be used a a secondary, safety switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.