Variable Speed Pump and Freeze Protect

DBB

Jul 8, 2015
Frisco/TX
Apologies if this has been addressed, but as a victim of the big Texas freeze and having had to replace all my pool equipment as a result…

Common sense would tell me to set for high RPMs, but as the new owner of a variable speed pump, what is the best practice for running in freeze mode?

Provided my electricity stays on, of course…

This thread suggests running 24/7 at 1800 RPM or more: Pool pump speed for 24/7 run during Texas freeze
Here in Canada I watch the forecasted overnight temperatures and run my 2-speed pump on high overnight for a short-term dip below freezing, and close the pool and take the pump into the house for the winter when a long-term freeze is coming, especially since cold weather and power outages often go together. I normally close mid-November and open mid-April, but will close earlier if a freeze is coming. Looking at your average overnight lows, you may want to be closed Dec. thru Feb.

DBB,

Running the pump at anything over 1000 RPM should work just fine in this area.. All you need is a little water movement.

As you found out last winter, the key is knowing what to do if the power goes out.. Make sure you know how to drain your filter, pump and heater before they freeze. Just doing that will keep most pools from being damaged.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: derekm
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.