Variable Pump - Some Settings Too Powerful??

Oct 15, 2012
Southern KS
So, I have a CircuPool SmartFlo VSP (1.5hp), and I'm fairly new to understanding how it works (and pumps in general). I have a wide mouth Hayward skimmer and it seems like even though the water is just under halfway up on the skimmer, there are one or two speeds on the preset pump schedule that seem like where it's "too powerful" and the water just can't get in there fast enough (if that makes any sense). So what results is that although the the water never stops, it ebbs and flows. I've read through the manual, and I'm going to follow the trouble-shooting tips, but I was just wondering if this is a big issue and if anyone has some tips for me. I'm guessing I'm going to need to add more water (even though I'm getting ready to winterize it), as well as check the pump basket and maybe try re-priming the pump. Anyway, thanks as always to this incredible community! Cheers!

No need to run aVSpump at high speed. Running at a lower speed will use less electric also.

Determine the minimum RPM that the SWG flow switch will allow the cell to produce chlorine. Add about 200RPM to that number to account for the filter getting dirty. Then determine the minimum speed you can run to perform other functions - like skimming.

I run my VS pump at 1200RPM to produce chlorine and skim the pool. I run higher than 1200RPM to allow my infloor cleaner to function. Those are my only needs.

Reactions: Musmin2415
Is your weir door functioning properly? If the water level is half way up the skimmer mouth, I cant imagine how the flow wouldn’t be enough at high pump speeds, especially for a 1.5hp pump and I assume 2” piping from the skimmer to the pump.

M,

Like David above, it sounds to me like your weir door is sticking up or your water level is too low. A pump should not be able to suck more water out of the skimmer faster than it can 'fall' in from the pool.

As a test, hold the weir door down and see if you have the same problem. Water level should be about in the middle of the skimmer's mouth.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Musmin2415
No need to run aVSpump at high speed. Running at a lower speed will use less electric also.

Determine the minimum RPM that the SWG flow switch will allow the cell to produce chlorine. Add about 200RPM to that number to account for the filter getting dirty. Then determine the minimum speed you can run to perform other functions - like skimming.

I run my VS pump at 1200RPM to produce chlorine and skim the pool. I run higher than 1200RPM to allow my infloor cleaner to function. Those are my only needs.
Thanks so much! Let me give that a shot and see how that works. Thanks for the quick reply!

Is your weir door functioning properly? If the water level is half way up the skimmer mouth, I cant imagine how the flow wouldn’t be enough at high pump speeds, especially for a 1.5hp pump and I assume 2” piping from the skimmer to the pump.
I think it's working correctly. So, really dumb question, but the door came with a piece of foam in the back of it. I removed it bc I felt it was working fine without it & it was just there for shipping/packing purposes. Is that supposed to stay in there? Anyway, I even removed the door tonight to see if the water could "keep up", and it made a slight difference but not enough. And yes, 2" piping all the around.

M,

Like David above, it sounds to me like your weir door is sticking up or your water level is too low. A pump should not be able to suck more water out of the skimmer faster than it can 'fall' in from the pool.

As a test, hold the weir door down and see if you have the same problem. Water level should be about in the middle of the skimmer's mouth.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Very good points. Very much appreciated! I'm gonna give that a shot tomorrow. After reading everyone else's responses & reading through the manual so more, my guess is that it might be a water level issue.

I think it's working correctly. So, really dumb question, but the door came with a piece of foam in the back of it. I removed it bc I felt it was working fine without it & it was just there for shipping/packing purposes. Is that supposed to stay in there? Anyway, I even removed the door tonight to see if the water could "keep up", and it made a slight difference but not enough. And yes, 2" piping all the around.
The foam should remain. It adds the correct buoyancy to the weir door.

You might try raising the water level slightly - it should be half way up the skimmer throat opening.

Skimmers can get too much suction and run dry.

Most skimmers top out at a rated flow of about 60 to 75 GPM.

The weir should not go to less than about 30 degrees.

As you can see, your pump can exceed the skimmer flow at any speed above about 2,500 RPM.

I would set the top speed at about 2,400 RPM and run as slowly as possible while still providing the necessary flow for the application.

1666288995458.png

1666289012394.png

SkimMaster® Series In-Ground Skimmers

Designed for large-capacity commercial and residential applications, SkimMaster Series skimmers boast one of the highest flow ratings in the industry at 75 GPM.

They feature threaded internal connections for pressure testing, an optional float/bypass valve, a field-installable water bonding kit and an automatic safety bypass for low water conditions.

Model SP1072S2 also includes PVC ports, which greatly reduce installation time.

1666289390598.png

1666289913657.png

And yes, 2" piping all the around.
For suction, you want to keep the water velocity below 6 ft/sec.

For returns, you want to keep the water velocity below 8 ft/sec.

Size.......6 ft/sec......8 ft/sec.
1.5"...........38...............51 gpm
2"..............63...............84 gpm
2.5............90.............119 gpm
3.0".........138.............184 gpm

Check the skimmer rated flow.

For 2" PVC pipe, you should stay below 63 GPM.

You should almost never need more than 40 GPM for any reason and 20 GPM is usually sufficient for most skimmers and SWGs.

Only something like a 400,000 BTU/HR gas heater requires 40 GPM.

Most other things require less than 40 GPM except things like sheer descents and other water features.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your window for a good water level is pretty tight.

At the water high point, the weir should lean back by about 35 degrees from the vertical or up 55 degrees from the horizontal.

At the water low point, the weir should lean back by about 60 degrees from the vertical or about 30 degrees from the horizontal.

That gives you approximately 2" from the low point to the high point or about 25 degrees of angle.

This assumes a high flow rate.

At lower flow rates, you can go a little lower on the water level, but you begin to risk catching air once the angle to the horizontal goes below about 30 degrees.

The rated flow should not be exceeded.

1666294763165.png
1666294249095.png

Last edited:
@JamesW -- I apologize for the late reply, but things got pretty hectic for a bit. Anyway....just...wow! Thanks! Good night that's a ton of info! That's amazing. For the most part it makes sense. It's just a lot to digest! I'm going to need some time to pour over this. Which I'll have plenty of time because I'm in the process of closing everything down, so I'll have until next season. But thank you again, so much! Really really appreciate all the time you put into this, and it's helped me out a ton.

Reactions: JamesW
Hey Musmin !!!

FWIW I have found the new sp1085 wide mouth skimmer wants to be 2/3 full with next to no room for error when running at low RPM. The older model was more of a rectangle and flapped away from 1/4 to 3/4 full. The new one is a smaller square weir with a bigger mouth in front of it.

Screenshot_20221024-125657_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20221024-125842_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.