Valve settings

May 28, 2018
Ocala Florida
Our pool's recirc setup puzzles me, here's an overall pix.
1200 px171229831513125.jpg

Here a close up of the return manifold
1200 px IMG_20200613_104044.jpg

I can't find a satisfactory setting on the valves to balance the the functioning of the 3 returns.
In the overall picture the manifold closest is the returns - side/skimmer, bottom/main, then krawler, then there the salt generator and finally the waterfall.
For one the handles appear to be attached wrong. This "!" (handle parallel to pipe) appears to be full-off and not full-on. Shouldn't it be "-" (handle 90* to pipe) to be full off?
I'm basing that on the position of the waterfall return - we keep it normally off - in the "!" (handle parallel to pipe) position, and the Salt Generator which we keep in the "!" (handle parallel to pipe) position.
I _think_ properly set I should have the Side Drain/Skimmer @ 100% open, the Krawler @ 100% open and the bottom drain (there are 2 at the deep end) just cracked. Does that sound right?
Wifie likes to see the Krawler moving busily but it slides down to one of the bottom drains and stays there.
Advice please!

Water suction is something each pool owner needs to experiment with a bit since every pool is different. In your case, you have three separate suction water sources competing for one pump suction source. If the Krawler doesn't seem to have adequate water flow (pull) to move the way you need it, one of the other valves (drain or skimmer) will need to be closed more or completely.

The "I" valves you are referring to sound like a simple ball valve (can't quite see it in the pic). Parallel should be open and perpendicular to the pipe should be off - unless the valve is defective inside. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Chuck,

There are two types of pool valves.. the ones that are in front of your pump (suction side) are Jandy style 2-ways valves... For those valves, if the handle is parallel with the pipe, the water will be shut off. If the handle is perpendicular with the pipe, the valve will be wide open. If you have any "ball-valves".. then the opposite is true for them..

Your Krawler may not be working because it is worn out, or your filter may be dirty.. How old is it?? And, what is your filter pressure?

I doubt there is a good balance on your valves to have everything work at the same time. As Pat points out, you will have to decrease the skimmer suction in order to increase the cleaner suction.

Or.. you could move up from the 1960's, into this Century, and get one of today's Robots... :)

Like this...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.