Sep 3, 2021
Maryland
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm having trouble figuring out the correct valve position for our pool. We just had it opened up for the season. When I put the valve that leads from the heater to the SWG in one position, I get a no/low flow alert for the SWG and when I put it in the other position the heat pump won't start because it isn't getting water flow. I've tried to put it in a middle position, but can't figure out a spot where I don't get a flow issue for one of them. I'm posting pictures here. Any help would be appreciated.

F,

Thanks for the extra pics..

If the plan was to make something that should simple as complex as you can get. You have succeeded... :mrgreen:

The valve that is after the heater and before the SWCG, is just there to by-pass the SWCG. It really should be set so that all the water flows through the SWCG. I can't think of any reason that you would want to by pass the cell.

Anytime you add things to the flow path, the pump will have to run faster.

I am not really sure what you are trying to do.

You do have another valve, the one right after the filter. This valve is a heater by-pass valve. If not using your heater, you could run at a lower RPM and still turn on the SWCG. But... With a leaf catcher on the suction side of the pump, and a pre-filter on the pressure side of the pump, I am surprised that you don't have to run at a pretty high RPM to get your heater working at all.

Is this a new pool or has it been this way for a while? If an older pool, how did it work last year?

Tell us what RPM you normally run.

Tell us more about how you want your system to work.

And just so you know... Your cell is incorrectly installed. The flow through the cell "must" be going up when installed in the vertical position. Your flow is going down. The problem with this installation is that if the flow switch fails, it will fail closed and allow the cell to generate when there is no flow. This has nothing to do with the problem that you currently have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim R.,

Thanks. What I want to do is run my heat pump at the same time that the SWG is running. Right now, when I open the valve after the heater and before the SWG, my heat pump shuts off and I get an error message that there isn't enough water flow. I can only get that heat pump error message to go away if I turn off the value to the SWG. This pool was built last year and I ran it at 1200 RPM without this issue. I've tried turning up the RPMs to 2100 and I'm getting the same problem.

F,

The valves in your pics appear to be in the correct positions that will send the water to the heater, and then through the SWCG. That is exactly how they should be set.

If it worked last year, and not now, then I would guess your filter is dirty.

What is your filter pressure?

When was it last cleaned?

It could also be that your SWCG is plugged up, but that is less likely.

Thanks,

Jim R.

F,

I think I see the problem.. In your last set of pics the handle of the valve that is after the heater and before the SWCG is horizontal and pointed toward your house. That is where that valve should be. This forces the water up and through your SWCG.

But.. In other pics I see the handle pointed 180 degrees. What this does is stop all the water coming from your heater from going anywhere. You don't ever want to do that.

If you look at the valve handle it has two ends. One end says "Off" and the other end is the handle itself. When you point the word "Off" at a pipe, it will shut that pipe off.

This is how you want the valve set.....

SWCG by pass1.jpg

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.