Valve position to circulate Pool and Spa simultaneously?

Restomod

Apr 11, 2014
Dallas,Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone, what position do my spa valves need to be to circulate both the pool and spa simultaneously? Would it be straight down with the "closed" pointed away from the equipment?

spa.jpgspa2.jpgspa3.jpg

Does your spa overflow into the pool?
If it does, then don’t mess with the suction side going into the pump.
On the return side, (left side of your picture), currently the spa return is CLOSED. Turn the handle such that the handle points to the white pipe and the CLOSED on the handle is towards you (not to the pipe on either the left or right).
In this position the pump will suck water from the pool and then return it to both the pool and the spa. The spa will fill to the overflow back into the pool.

Reactions: Restomod
Rest,

Do you see the open, yellow'ish, 3/4" PVC pipe in the middle bottom of your pic?

Just to the left of that small yellow pipe is a check valve and below it a closed Jandy valve. This is your "make up line" it is what sends water to your spa when you are in the pool mode and causes the spa to spillover into your pool. Just open the Jandy valve and adjust the amount of spillover you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rest,

Do you see the open, yellow'ish, 3/4" PVC pipe in the middle bottom of your pic?

Just to the left of that small yellow pipe is a check valve and below it a closed Jandy valve. This is your "make up line" it is what sends water to your spa when you are in the pool mode and causes the spa to spillover into your pool. Just open the Jandy valve and adjust the amount of spillover you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yeah that is for my Spa fountain, I typically adjust that depending on the activities of the day.

Rest,

No it will not.. That is not how these system are designed..

Normally, you only get suction from the spa when you are in the Spa mode.

Why do you want suction from the spa?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Gotcha, what prompted my original question is algae buildup/sediment in the spa. The fountain is not providing enough chlorine to keep the algae in the spa at bay.

Rest,

The basic concept is that the spa gets fresh water when your spillover is working. Without the spillover the spa water will quickly go south and you'll get algae. The Spillover needs to run an hour or two per day. Generally most owners just let it spillover any time the pump is running and they are not in the spa mode.

Do you normally leave the spillover off? You should be able to remove the "fountain" and just let the water enter the spa at the bottom of the spa where the fountain would normally attach.

You could also set your Return valve (the one on the far left) so that the spa always gets a little water, while the pool gets most of the water. But.. This is just about the same as turning on your fountain.

I assume you don't use the spa much?

The real problem is I suspect that you are not keeping your FC high enough to prevent algae.

My guess is that you are trying to keep your FC as low as possible, most likely in the 1 to 2 ppm range. (That said, I've been wrong about 100 time today alone, 1 more time won't make much difference.. :mrgreen: )

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rest,

The basic concept is that the spa gets fresh water when your spillover is working. Without the spillover the spa water will quickly go south and you'll get algae. The Spillover needs to run an hour or two per day. Generally most owners just let it spillover any time the pump is running and they are not in the spa mode.

Do you normally leave the spillover off? You should be able to remove the "fountain" and just let the water enter the spa at the bottom of the spa where the fountain would normally attach.

You could also set your Return valve (the one on the far left) so that the spa always gets a little water, while the pool gets most of the water. But.. This is just about the same as turning on your fountain.

I assume you don't use the spa much?

The real problem is I suspect that you are not keeping your FC high enough to prevent algae.

My guess is that you are trying to keep your FC as low as possible, most likely in the 1 to 2 ppm range. (That said, I've been wrong about 100 time today alone, 1 more time won't make much difference.. :mrgreen: )

Thanks,

Jim R.
Correct the spa does not see much use but that will likely change soon. Having small children /work provided little time for use and just recently fired up the spa heater (20yrs old) and getting an error code. Kids are now older and the wife would like to use it more so a new heater is in the near future.

Previously I have just ran the spa fountain that spills over into the pool and was the only form of providing chlorine to the spa. So now I will do as you guys have suggested and move the return valve to provide more chlorine.

My pool is typically good thanks to the TF-100, just the spa has been the trouble. :mrgreen:

I appreciate all the information, this forum has been invaluable to this first time pool owner.:cheers:

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.