Vacuuming trouble

moundman

May 17, 2010
Mooresville, NC
Hey everyone,

I did a search and I still can't find what I need. I'm also not sure if this is the correct area.

When I vacuum my pool it doesn't seem to be getting rid of the debris or dirt. Here's what I do when vacuuming and the equipment I have:

I use a pole with a vacuum head attached to it and obviously a hose. I have an inground pool with a Hayward sand filter.

First off I put the vacuum head in the water with the hose attached. I then fill the hose up with water using the jet. When all the air is out I quickly put the end of the hose into the hole below the skimmer basket. So everything seems to be going good and I start to vacuum the bottom of the pool and I notice dirt or debris shooting back into the pool from the water jets. I do leave the the dial on the filter in the "filter" setting right? I have backwashed and it still doesn't seem to help. I also just put new sand in about a month ago. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Any chance you could have cracked something while you were changing sand? Even a hairline crack, barely visible to the naked eye, can open up under pressure.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

moundman

May 17, 2010
Mooresville, NC
I'll double check but I haven't noticed any water leaking out anywhere. I had a friend that works on pools help me and I know we were very careful. Who knows though we might have. Thanks

Kes

Apr 24, 2010
Worcester UK
Is there any reason why you can't vacuum to waste? After vacuuming, a few seconds on rinse and then back to filter. (Before I found TFP I was unaware of the practice of vacuuming through the filter.)

Rangeball

May 25, 2007
Kes said:
Is there any reason why you can't vacuum to waste? After vacuuming, a few seconds on rinse and then back to filter. (Before I found TFP I was unaware of the practice of vacuuming through the filter.)
Lose a lot of water doing this every time. I typically only vacuum to waste at the beginning of the year or if something went bad wrong, which hasn't happened since going BBB :)

If you cracked a lateral inside the filter, you won't see a visible leak outside the filter canister.

Txmat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2010
San Antonio
I had the same problem early this year. I was told by my pool repair guy that a sand filter will not catch the small particles, particularly when it is clean. So, I vacuumed to waste. I find that if I do not backwash before I vacuum I get a better result. YMMV