Vacuum to waste?

Spitdog

Apr 17, 2019
North East US
If I have a glob of leaves in the pool and remove the skimmer baskets, flip the multiport valve to vacuum to waste, turn on the pump and suck all the leaves up. Will they go straight out the backwash hose and bypass the filter?

On WASTE setting, yes. However be careful about removing the strainer basket. I understand why you would remove it because it will fill quickly with leaves, but you don't know what might get sucked into the pump that could potentially damage the pump's impeller. Pool pumps aren't designed to work like a submersible trash pump. You don't want to damage your main pool pump, then you'd be stuck.

Reactions: Spitdog
On WASTE setting, yes. However be careful about removing the strainer basket. I understand why you would remove it because it will fill quickly with leaves, but you don't know what might get sucked into the pump that could potentially damage the pump's impeller. Pool pumps aren't designed to work like a submersible trash pump. You don't want to damage your main pool pump, then you'd be stuck.

Good advice, never thought about the pump impeller and a few sticks or old acorns.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.