UWF Problem

TexasTwister

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Feb 9, 2008
Richmond, Texas
Here's a problem that I am trying to deal with. Customer is running a Polaris 280. I have serviced the pool since May 2011. I noted a while back that the Universal Wall Fitting (UWF) had not been screwed into the wall completely since before I started servicing the pool, maybe no more than 50%. Now, the UWF has been broken off at the wall due to years of stress. Unfortunately, the part that broke off has the "nubs" used to lock in the pressure relief valve to the UWF. Therefore, I can't use a tool that uses the nubs to "back out" the remaining portion of the UWF from the wall.

My first instinct was to use a hand held hacksaw blade to carefully saw through the part of the UWF that is still in the pool wall. If I could cut enough of it, maybe I could grab a piece of it with pliers and pull it out. The problem with this approach would be that if I sawed too far, I could damage the female threads inside the wall. This would prevent the installation of a new UWF once the bad one was removed. Messing this up would prevent future use of the 280. Not good.

Has anyone faced this before, and if so, what did you do to fix the problem? One thing about this business is that you are always learning, and I've learned: experience counts!

Thanks everyone for your responses.

So the part that is broken off should be able to be unscrewed, correct?
Have to figure out a way to get some torque on it to back it out.
Hard to picture what you are left with to "grab" ... is there anything sticking out?

So the part that is broken off should be able to be unscrewed, correct?
Have to figure out a way to get some torque on it to back it out.
Hard to picture what you are left with to "grab" ... is there anything sticking out?

Nope, the remaining portion of the UWF is completely inside the wall of the pool. I found a tool that could have helped if the "nubs" of the UWF were still present: http://www.toolsforpools.com/lassenterprises/Polaris_Wall_Wrench.html

Unfortunately, the part that broke off had the "nubs", so this tool wouldn't have helped.

- - - Updated - - -

Is the outer part round or hexagonal?

The outer part was hexagonal, but it is now broken off and out of the pool, leaving the male threads inside the wall of the pool.

There is a rectangular hole in the back of the fitting. Find a flat tool or piece of metal that fits the rectangle and unscrew.

If the red or blue disc is in the center hole, you should be able to tap it backwards and use the outer rectangular part to engage a flat tool that just fits the inner walls.

There is a rectangular hole in the back of the fitting. Find a flat tool or piece of metal that fits the rectangle and unscrew.

If the red or blue disc is in the center hole, you should be able to tap it backwards and use the outer rectangular part to engage a flat tool that just fits the inner walls.

I see what you are saying. If i can find a large enough flat tool to stick in the slot in the back, I could rotate it that way. That's a good idea. I've got an assortment of flat files that might be big enough to engage the slots in the back and I will use a pair of vice grips on the file to give it some torque.

I'll try it. Thanks!

if you cant find something that will work, you can use the tool you referenced. it will work without the nubs, as it was designed to get around them. unless of course, the whole piece that had the nubs broke out, that is the slots at the back of that piece are no longer there. sorry if i missed that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.