May 2, 2022
Pittsburgh
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all,
I am a new pool owner and have been reading the TFP for sometime now. We just opened for this year (pool was winterized in Oct 2021).
Pool has been cleaned, vacuumed and brushed. Filters have been hosed and cleaned (Pentair cartridge filters). However, I am observing that the FC goes to 0 very quickly.

Here are the results from TF 100
FC 0
Cc 0.5
CH 550
TA 110
Ph 7.6
Cya 40

Based on these, I SLAMd the pool to 16 PPM FC and did an OCLT. The FC dropped to 8 PPM next AM. The pool water appears slightly cloudy (hasn’t been crystal clear since I opened this year).
My plan is to continue with the SLAM till OCLT indicates 0 loss and water is clear.
I also plan to clean my filters again as the back pressure on them is 25 Psi, which is higher than normal (15-18psi).
Is there anything else that I should be mindful of? Is it common to use lot of FC at the start of a new season? I don’t see any green algae in pool.

Thanks for all your help!

If the fc ever dipped below minimum for your cya (even in winter) you have the potential for algae. Your cloudy water & failed oclt suggest you have algea. A nascent algae bloom generally starts with increased demand & cloudy water. No need to wait for the green monster to explode to take action. You caught it early through monitoring, kudos!
Lower ph to 7.2 & Keep with the SLAM Process - clean the filters when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. Vacuum or brush daily. Scrub all the nooks & crannies- ladders, skimmer throats/weirs, light niches, water features, drain covers etc. as u may have the green stuff hiding somewhere.
The more often you test & replenish slam level fc the faster things will go. This can be 4-5 times a day at the beginning or every 2 hours if u can swimg it. Every hour below slam level algea gets a foothold. Keep at it 👍🏻
Ps. During slam you only need to test fc & cc. The other values won’t change much in a week or so.

Hi all,
I am a new pool owner and have been reading the TFP for sometime now. We just opened for this year (pool was winterized in Oct 2021).
Pool has been cleaned, vacuumed and brushed. Filters have been hosed and cleaned (Pentair cartridge filters). However, I am observing that the FC goes to 0 very quickly.

Here are the results from TF 100
FC 0
Cc 0.5
CH 550
TA 110
Ph 7.6
Cya 40

Based on these, I SLAMd the pool to 16 PPM FC and did an OCLT. The FC dropped to 8 PPM next AM. The pool water appears slightly cloudy (hasn’t been crystal clear since I opened this year).
My plan is to continue with the SLAM till OCLT indicates 0 loss and water is clear.
I also plan to clean my filters again as the back pressure on them is 25 Psi, which is higher than normal (15-18psi).
Is there anything else that I should be mindful of? Is it common to use lot of FC at the start of a new season? I don’t see any green algae in pool.

Thanks for all your help!
The OCLT passes when the cc is 1.0 or lower. Don’t chase 0 FC loss of you don’t need to.

If the fc ever dipped below minimum for your cya (even in winter) you have the potential for algae. Your cloudy water & failed oclt suggest you have algea. A nascent algae bloom generally starts with increased demand & cloudy water. No need to wait for the green monster to explode to take action. You caught it early through monitoring, kudos!
Lower ph to 7.2 & Keep with the SLAM Process - clean the filters when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure. Vacuum or brush daily. Scrub all the nooks & crannies- ladders, skimmer throats/weirs, light niches, water features, drain covers etc. as u may have the green stuff hiding somewhere.
The more often you test & replenish slam level fc the faster things will go. This can be 4-5 times a day at the beginning or every 2 hours if u can swimg it. Every hour below slam level algea gets a foothold. Keep at it 👍🏻
Ps. During slam you only need to test fc & cc. The other values won’t change much in a week or so.
Thank you, I will lower the Ph as well and keep at it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.