Using solar panels to power pool pump

Mikepat

Jun 24, 2020
Plano, TX
I would like to replace my existing pool pump with a new single speed pool pump and run off solar panels.

To run off solar power, I need to replace my pool pump with a DC pool pump or switch to a 110V pool pump with an inverter. The DC pool pump may work, but then means I could not run my spa at night. Instead I am thinking of swapping out my 2.5HP Jandy pump with a pump that runs using 110V because its not really feasible to run a pool pump off solar using 220V. With this setup, I could add a switch that would let me power the pump using the solar panels or switch to running off AC at night. Jandy makes a VS pump that runs off 110V, but given I will be running off solar power, not sure I need a VS pump.

I estimate I pay between $30 and $50 per month to run the pump. My current pump is old so will need a replacement sooner than later. The cost of the panels would be about $1600 plus the inverter. Maybe it is better to just keep using AC only and go with a VS pump for about $1800.

Has anyone here done this before? What was your experience? What do you recommend?

Attachments

• pool pump.jpg
    pool pump.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 8
Will your solar system be able to provide the 12-15 amps that the average pool pump generally requires? If it doesn’t get the sustainable voltage & amperage it requires you will likely burn it up in short order.
The vsp sounds like a less complicated & very efficient route vs the solar set up.

Reactions: Mikepat
I found this video which adds a 12V pump and keeps the original too.
I saw the same video and am seriously looking at a new pool (small-5200 gals) running completely on solar. If you’ve found anything new I’d love to hear about it, otherwise I’m going to contact some glass pool reps in the south and see if they know of any customers who’ve gone or started with solar. Solar seems like a dead issue here on the site….but I’m not looking at it as a cost saving measure, more of a necessity with the access to AC power at my pool location.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.