Using my TF100

SBall

Jun 27, 2017
Nashville, TN
FC= 5.5ppm
CC = 0.5ppm
Total chlorine - very yellow, guessing 5+, based on 5.5 plus 0.5 that sounds about right
CH = 100 ppm
TA = between 90 and 100, I couldn't really tell for sure
PH = 7.2 to 7.5, kinda in-between
CYA = I filled up the tube entirely, so has to be less than 20

Pool looks nice and clean, thanks to my Active 20 :), although water is a touch cloudy. Shallow end looks fine, not surprisingly, deep end is where you can see the "cloudiness".

I added CYA several days ago, looks like I need to add more, along with another gallon of bleach. Otherwise, seems like my numbers are pretty good.

If those numbers are from a TF100 you should pull out the instructions and do the FAS-DPD free chlorine test. A 10ml sample is accurate enough and uses less reagent. The yellow ‘free chlorine’ test you mention is the OTO test that comes with the K1000 comparator. Go for the FAS-DPD titration test, pink to clear, much better.

Edit: Opps, I see ya did the FC, I just jumped strait at the OTO test. I wouldn’t worry much about TC, just use the OTO as a quick test for yes there's chlorine there. But you numbers look good, your on to the CYA and I’d bring your TA down a little.

Last edited:
I did, that is where I got the FC=5.5 and CC=0.5 numbers. I used the 10mL sample, added the drops until pink, then back to clear. The last thing I did was use the little blue box with the yellow/red drops to give me the TC and PH numbers
A few questions,
  • What is your water temp? (reason for question, if water sample is under 60F, then the CYA reagent may give a false low reading, as the reaction time is slowed or stalled)
  • How many gallons is the pool, known or estimated? (poolmath estimates @ 20500 gallons, 16'x36'x4.75'_avg'd depth)
  • How much CYA added?

Last edited:
I did, that is where I got the FC=5.5 and CC=0.5 numbers. I used the 10mL sample, added the drops until pink, then back to clear. The last thing I did was use the little blue box with the yellow/red drops to give me the TC and PH numbers

Yeh, I saw that but jumped strait at the OTO. Keep an eye on that cloudiness, if it doesn’t clear it might be worth doing an OCLT, Trouble Free Pool

Thursday, 4pm, added two gallons of bleach.

Thursday, 8pm: FC=20.5 ppm, CC=0
Friday, 5:30pm: FC=19 ppm, CC=0
Saturday, 10:15am: FC=20ppm, CC=0

In each case, I brought in a cup of pool water, and let sit on the counter for about an hour to get up to room temperature. Weather conditions since Thursday evening have been 40s-50s, and rainy, although not enough to add any significant amount to the pool. I have added no chemicals to the pool, nor have I drained any water out. Based on the relative consistency of FC (a little fluctuation I credit to test to test variability) and CC=0, I am assuming there is nothing gross living in our pool.

Water is still a little cloudy, not sparkling. PH and TA were good prior to bumping up the FC to such high levels.

What is the water temperature?

Next time you do not need to let the pool water sample come up to room temperature for the FC testing. The only test that the pool water temperature MAY effect is the CYA test.

Put your information into PoolMath. What volume is your pool. Can you add that to your signature?

At that water temperature I would not be concerned. Once it reaches 60F do a complete set of tests and then add CYA to get to 30 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess you are posting the test results because you are opening your pool. If so, those are good results. The cloudiness should filter out completely if you keep your FC up, however, you are currently too high so do as Marty suggests and bring your CYA up to 30. FC of around 20 is wa-a-ay too harsh without CYA.

Have you cleaned your filter? What is your current psi?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.