dmattle

Jul 16, 2020
Elk Grove, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My son just got a 350 gallon fiberglass spa. Been reading about the 2 step 3 step method using Soduim Bromide reserve and liquid chlorine as oxidizer. I was told by the guy (seemed pretty knowlegable) that sold the spa that Chlorine used as an oxidizor is too aggressive and can where parts in spa and fiberglass down. Does he not know what he is talking about? Can you cover spa after adding liquid chlorine or should cover be left off?

After adding any sanitizer/oxidizer or other chemicals (like acid) you should leave the cover off for 15-30 minutes to allow for off gassing.
Liquid chlorine is fine to use to reactivate your bromide bank. Many people (including myself) use chlorine as their only oxidizer as well as their primary sanitizer- sounds like bologna.
Here’s the guide if you haven’t read it already

Do you have to ever have to use Bromine tablets?
No, I use chlorine as my sanitizer.
I follow this guide

No matter which sanitizer you choose to use you should purge/refill regularly & especially brand new tubs to remove biofilms as all tubs are wet tested at the factory and it’s basically impossible to remove all the water so things grow in the plumbing whilst in route to you. I suggest Ahhsome as it’s so far proven to be superior to others.https://www.google.com/url?client=internal-element-cse&cx=002747910572285790466:lupsoa7dcvq&q=https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...cQFnoECAcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0WtljqP3nGD1yAyskYnIcu
If your son doesn’t already have a proper test kit be sure he gets one asap
Test Kits Compared
Taylor does make a dedicated bromine fas dpd kit where the extra math isn’t involved.

Thanks. Do you typically shock after going in or just autmatically once a week?
I just make sure I replenish fc enough to account for bather waste & never fall below minimum for my cya at any time
FC/CYA Levels. My swg takes care of standby fc. I don’t raise to shock/slam level on a schedule.
Cya is not a concern with bromine.

Thanks. Do you typically shock after going in or just autmatically once a week?
The all chlorine method might be too time comsuming for my son. Seems like the pool BBB a little easier as you don't have to deal with CC as sun takes care of that as long as FC/CYA is at minimum. I may have him try Sodium Bromide reserve with Renew oxidizor. Thank you for your reply.

Since hot tubs need to be purged, drained & refilled every 3-6 months Many people alternate between chlorine or bromine with each fill depending upon how busy their upcoming life is.

Some also do not tolerate bromine well or don’t like the smell so they go with chlorine.
Not sure what Renew is - likely MPS.
Mps can be an irritant so many prefer not to use it.
A chlorine tub can be turned into a bromine tub but the reverse is not true without a full water exchange.
The saying goes “once bromine, always bromine”.
Here’s a thread that might be helpful

Reactions: phonedave
The all chlorine method might be too time comsuming for my son. Seems like the pool BBB a little easier as you don't have to deal with CC as sun takes care of that as long as FC/CYA is at minimum. I may have him try Sodium Bromide reserve with Renew oxidizor. Thank you for your reply.

I use all chlorine, and no SWCG in my hot tub. I do not find it time consuming. It is something that needs pretty regular attention. So if your son is frequently away from home for 5+ or more days, then that may be an issue. Otherwise, once I get things stabilized after a water change, out of a 7 day week, I spend about 5 minutes on 3 or 4 days of the week, and maybe 15 on one other day.

During the week I test pH, FC, and CC. I use a pH meter, so I grab a cup of water from the tub, fill my test vial for my FC/CC test and drop my pH meter in the cup. While the meter is settling I run the FC/CC test.
I then add any needed acid to the cup of water and add to the tub (it is a graduated cup). By the time I put the acid away, and the test equipment away, it is time for chlorine. I add however much bleach I need. That is about it on a week day. I also do not do this every day - I skip a day here or there. If I am going to be away for a couple of days, I run the FC up to shock levels before I go.

Once a week I do a full battery of tests (maybe not CH, because that never changes after I dial it in). Adjust anything as necessary, and also add a dose of Aqua Clarity. While I am doing that, I also pop out my jetpacks and wipe down behind them (as well as wipe down the waterline) and hose out (or change) my filter cartages. That takes me about 15 minutes.

If we use the hot tub, I add bleach afterward (1 oz per person per 30 min is my rough estimate).

It is really not that much work to maintain. After a water change it is a bit more work, because I am trying to dial in TA and CH and CYA (using Dichlor). The dialing in process takes about 7 to 10 days for me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.