Using backwash during closing?

No problem using backwash to waste to lower the water level.

Reactions: Fire
I was wondering about this myself. Thinking my sand filter would be put away clean and fresh. I'm just about to drain down for the season. Last time I just used the waste setting until the water was drawn down to the point that I use the pump. Why no back flush and clean out one more time? What could I hurt?

You aren’t doing a normal 3-5 min backwash. When on backwash the water coming out of the laterals lifts up the sand, pushing it against the multiport and yes out your backwash hose. Don’t believe me, check when you do a huge backwash, there is always some sand where the water drains to. Also, this is why rinse is suggested after backwash, as water is still going out your waste kind some is being directed into the filter to help settle down the sand before you then change it to filter mode. I’m assuming you are talking 30 minutes or more.

You can lose sand if the pump is oversized for the filter. In many cases, the pump is oversized for the filter.

If the water contains any debris, the debris can build up in the laterals and clog.

I would use Waste to drain and not backwash.

I was wondering about this myself. Thinking my sand filter would be put away clean and fresh. I'm just about to drain down for the season. Last time I just used the waste setting until the water was drawn down to the point that I use the pump. Why no back flush and clean out one more time? What could I hurt?
I was reading on a thread here (I think) that if you want to continue using your pool pump to drain water (assuming you have a main drain hooked up to the skimmer as I do) after it gets below the skimmer is to run a sump pump from the pool into the skimmer to keep the water level up in the skimmer and prevent air being sucked into the pool pump. Not sure if that helps you out at all.

I was reading on a thread here (I think) that if you want to continue using your pool pump to drain water (assuming you have a main drain hooked up to the skimmer as I do) after it gets below the skimmer is to run a sump pump from the pool into the skimmer to keep the water level up in the skimmer and prevent air being sucked into the pool pump. Not sure if that helps you out at all.

If you have a sump pump why not use it to drain the pool directly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@Fire, hope I didn't confuse you earlier in post #2. I should've never used the words backwash and waste in the same sentence. Waste was my focus and intended guidance, but backwash squeaked into my brain for some reason. :hammer: With all the follow-up posts, it looks you're on track. Good luck with your closing.

Reactions: Fire
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.