using a taylor k-2006 for bromine

linen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Edit: strikethough the mistake, correction in red

Use it the same as you would testing for chlorine but multiply your result by 2.25. For example, using the 10 ml sample size, [s:35t236q9]instead of multiply your result by 10, you would multiply by 22.5[/s:35t236q9] if you got a result for FC of 10 ppm, then bromine would be 22.5 ppm. An example: (20 drops/2)*2.25= 22.5 ppm Free Bromine.

jewing

May 5, 2013
For my Spa - I am using the K-2006 and when I test for the Bromine instead of the test going clear when I add R-0871 it turns brown. my Bromine is extremely high right now because I just started up the spa (over 40 ppm) and added a fresh fill and new bromine and chlorine to shock. Is the brown color normal for this test when you test bromine?

linen

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
jewing said:
For my Spa - I am using the K-2006 and when I test for the Bromine instead of the test going clear when I add R-0871 it turns brown. my Bromine is extremely high right now because I just started up the spa (over 40 ppm) and added a fresh fill and new bromine and chlorine to shock. Is the brown color normal for this test when you test bromine?
From the extended test kit directions:
3. Using the small spoon shaped end of the dipper, add one heaping dipper, or two level dippers, of R-0870 and swirl to mix. If the sample turns pink for a moment and then turns clear again, or if it turns brown, add another dipper of R-0870. If the sample remains clear the entire time, your FC level is probably zero, however it is best to verify that with an OTO chlorine test, since the FAS-DPD test is prone to the occasional false zero.

jewing

May 5, 2013
Thank you so much. I was using the kit incorrectly. I was counting the 25 ml as 10 ppm per drop. My bromine is not too high. Thank you so much!!!