May 13, 2020
Hampton MN
Is purchasing a used pool off craigslist a bad idea? I’m not familiar with the brand ( trevi ) and understand we would need a new liner, it’s $250 we disassemble/haul and comes with a platform which would be nice. Comes with a sand filter and 1.0 Hayward pump but maybe we’d upgrade? We’ve never set up a pool or have any experience with pools, do we save ourselves the headache or try it and worst case we got a $250 platform for the new pool we have to buy.

It sounds like a good deal. A lot of our members have bought above ground pools this way, and Trevi seems like a good brand. https://www.trevi.com/t-above-ground-pools-trevi.aspx Give it a good visual inspection and make sure there is no rust, dents, or creases in the pool wall. Do you know about how old the pool is? Take a lot of photos during the disassemble process so you can identify how things were put together, put all the small parts like screws and nuts and bolts in labeled baggies. Feel free to post pictures here and we will help you out the best we can.

It sounds like a good deal. A lot of our members have bought above ground pools this way, and Trevi seems like a good brand. https://www.trevi.com/t-above-ground-pools-trevi.aspx Give it a good visual inspection and make sure there is no rust, dents, or creases in the pool wall. Do you know about how old the pool is? Take a lot of photos during the disassemble process so you can identify how things were put together, put all the small parts like screws and nuts and bolts in labeled baggies. Feel free to post pictures here and we will help you out the best we can.

Thanks!! I just asked them that question and will be sure to look for rust/dents, I’m guessing those are red flag indicators to stay away from! It’s raining hard today in MN so we likely won’t go today but hopefully this week if they get back to me!

This is so funny I literally just did the same thing i bought an above ground for 300$ ... excowt nobody knew the brandname ( until now). Please keep le posted how yours is going. Where did u get a New linetrfrom? I cabt decide. Did yall put your legs on pavers or? Sorry fir
For all the questions lol

This is so funny I literally just did the same thing i bought an above ground for 300$ ... excowt nobody knew the brandname ( until now). Please keep le posted how yours is going. Where did u get a New linetrfrom? I cabt decide. Did yall put your legs on pavers or? Sorry fir
For all the questions lol

well I haven’t heard back from the guy yet so we’ll see! I haven’t purchased a new liner but will probably rely on these guys when it comes to that haha! I think legs on pavers are a MUST from what I’ve read, I don’t know if there is any other option. I will keep you posted though!

My son and his wife did this recently. Can be a good deal but you need to be sure it has all the parts. See if you can download the manual and painstakingly check that each part down to the smallest details are included. They did this and have a dirt cheap pool that works great. Limited budget and kid/car poor requires good deals for them on luxury items like a pool but it did work well.

Good luck!

Chris

I bought a $300 used pool off Facebook Marketplace. It was definitely a leap of faith as it had all been disassembled so we could not see the condition and the pictures were not great, also it was a niece selling it for her uncle who wasn't an online type of guy. In our case it turned out to be a great deal, the guy was meticulous about packing it up. He didn't have any paperwork about what kind of pool it was, so on the 90 minute drive home I found a number stamped in the top cap and googled and researched until I figured out what kind of pool it was. Downloaded and printed the manual, saved a couple of installation videos, ordered an overlap liner and put everything into the shed. We ended up remodeling our house so it sat in the shed months longer than originally planned. When it came time to set up I was a bit nervous not knowing what we were going to unpack, but the pool was in good shape, no rust at all and all pieces were there including every single screw and bolt needed. We also already had a skimmer, pump, filter and steps, which this pool also came with so we were able to sell those and offset our cost some. My only regret is buying an overlap liner when I could have had a j-hook but I didn't know any better and only because the j-hooks look prettier to me ;)

We had an Intex before, which is a really good pool to learn the leveling laws on, easy to take down if you make a mistake, so by the time we got this one, knew how important it was. If you are at all handy, this is very doable. Watch a ton of youtube videos, read and search this forum extensively and know that your ground will need to be LEVEL. Getting your ground prepped will be way harder than putting up the pool itself.

All that said, for us the used pool and doing the labor ourselves was the only option to upgrade from a worn out (but loved) Intex to a hard sided ABG. Spending money on a new one wasn't in the budget.

Reactions: Das_Shelly
I have bought two used pools and set them up myself. Some things to consider:

1. is the bottom (or top edge) of the wall rusted? If any part of the bottom of the wall is rusted or buried in dirt, keep looking. most people advertising pools want them gone so are motivated to sell.
2. is the opening for the skimmer and/or return rusted out? my current pool the answer was yes, but I have the skills to patch the hole and cut a new one. you may not want to.
3. preferably the pool has a plastic top rail. I won't ever get a pool with metal top rail again
4. does the pump run? how old is it?
5. don't try to save the liner.

assuming all of the above checks out
1. if you have to take it down, plan on a full day doing so. bring as many friends as are willing to help. One pool I got was already down, the other I had to move.
2. if you are going to set it up yourself, consider hiring out any grading that needs to be done. they will do a better job much more quickly than you can.
3. get as many friends as you can to help set it up, or hire day labor, especially the pool wall. 2 strong folk can do it, but only just. have 2 sheets of plywood that you can roll the wall around on while you are installing it in the track.

good luck. if nothing else, you get a 250.00 platform. depending on the size you probably can't build one for 250.00

Well I do know it is the Trevi brand pool, is 24x52 round. has 16 uprights to it. Metal siding, we pitched the liner the pump and sand filter they were toast. It has a hayward wide mouth skimmer, will post the pics the seller had as well as the ONLY part number I could Find anywhere on the underside of the plastic rail cap. The bottom rail is in great condition the coving etc ..all looks great I just want to know so I can get the owners manual/directions and anything specific to this pool and also before I purchase a new liner Too. I will also go check out The other web site someone suggested for identification. Thanks again yall.
Oh and P.S. I deeply apologize for my spelling Or lack of it and typos on my last post I was at work and rushing so I could get finished. thanks for suffering through. Lol.

Attachments

• 2BEEFF0F-ED8E-4A6B-8A20-44CEAC6F5439.jpeg
    2BEEFF0F-ED8E-4A6B-8A20-44CEAC6F5439.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 12858EE4-4F14-4BCC-AC12-74A003CFFFDC.jpeg
    12858EE4-4F14-4BCC-AC12-74A003CFFFDC.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 10

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
C7A65ED9-0370-4D5F-9087-9B5C638DE255.jpeg
Well I do know it is the Trevi brand pool, is 24x52 round. has 16 uprights to it. Metal siding, we pitched the liner the pump and sand filter they were toast. It has a hayward wide mouth skimmer, will post the pics the seller had as well as the ONLY part number I could Find anywhere on the underside of the plastic rail cap. The bottom rail is in great condition the coving etc ..all looks great I just want to know so I can get the owners manual/directions and anything specific to this pool and also before I purchase a new liner Too. I will also go check out The other web site someone suggested for identification. Thanks again yall.
Oh and P.S. I deeply apologize for my spelling Or lack of it and typos on my last post I was at work and rushing so I could get finished. thanks for suffering through. Lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.