Used Hayward Aquarite Goldline SWG system should I purchase or not?

Sep 3, 2014
CA Sac
Firstly I must say thanks to all who make this forum going. Maintaining pool is not an easy task but definitely by following the methods provided in this forum have saved me quite a lot of time.

As the prices of liquid chlorine increasing (thanks to COVID) I have started considering to switch to SWG system. So far I have not made up my mind yet and I believe if I buy used system I will be saving some money. As of now I an getting 10% Chlorine for about $4.5 per gallon which due to hot temps getting used in 2 days. So daily cost averages to $2.25 only for chlorine.

I came across few used Hayward AquaRite Goldline SWG systems online and was wondering if I buy used one will I be saving anything at all? I was thinking, if the salt cell does not work, at least I will save money on the control panel. Do control panels last long? Or do I need to replace control panels with salt cell. Looks like most of the systems comes as a bundle consists of control panel, salt cell and flow switch. What are the usual life of these components individually?

Should I be even thinking about buying a used SWG system?

Any help from fellow members is greatly appreciated.

Our pool, installed in early 2004, included a Goldline (now Hayward) Aquarite/T-15 cell. Here’s our history with it;

2008 - Cell replaced (still had some pro rated warranty left)
2009 - Main circuit board replaced (still had some pro rated warranty left)
2015 - Cell replaced
2019 - Flow switch replaced

🙂

I came across few used Hayward AquaRite Goldline SWG systems online and was wondering if I buy used one will I be saving anything at all? I was thinking, if the salt cell does not work, at least I will save money on the control panel. Do control panels last long? Or do I need to replace control panels with salt cell. Looks like most of the systems comes as a bundle consists of control panel, salt cell and flow switch. What are the usual life of these components individually?

Should I be even thinking about buying a used SWG system?

Any help from fellow members is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, Tejrish,

Although you might save money initially, you won't have any warranty or guarantee that the unit will work or keep on working for a decent amount of time. If you can swing a new SWG, now or in the future, I think they are worth it. I just wouldn't recommend a used one off Ebay. Saying that, I bought a used router off Ebay, but that's just a router. A SWG is much more of an investment.

Our pool, installed in early 2004, included a Goldline (now Hayward) Aquarite/T-15 cell. Here’s our history with it;

2008 - Cell replaced (still had some pro rated warranty left)
2009 - Main circuit board replaced (still had some pro rated warranty left)
2015 - Cell replaced
2019 - Flow switch replaced

🙂

I have the same system as you but we didn't get ours till 2009. It seems like you've done welll with yours (and you keep way better records than I do). I got curious when we got ours, so I found the receipt. Back then we only paid $850 for the 2008 model system. I"m sure now they're a lot more expensive. We still have the original cell, and hopefully later rather than sooner, it will need replacement. I've been wondering if the cell did go, if it would be more practical to get a whole new system. I'm not handy and know nothing about this stuff like @JamesW (the man's a genious) so soldering and that kind of thing, I don't think I'd have the skills or courage to attempt it. Just checked price of the same system now: $1,329.00 . I guess maybe it would be cheaper to just get the cell.

I have the same system as you but we didn't get ours till 2009. It seems like you've done welll with yours (and you keep way better records than I do). I got curious when we got ours, so I found the receipt. Back then we only paid $850 for the 2008 model system. I"m sure now they're a lot more expensive. We still have the original cell, and hopefully later rather than sooner, it will need replacement. I've been wondering if the cell did go, if it would be more practical to get a whole new system. I'm not handy and know nothing about this stuff like @JamesW (the man's a genious) so soldering and that kind of thing, I don't think I'd have the skills or courage to attempt it. Just checked price of the same system now: $1,329.00 . I guess maybe it would be cheaper to just get the cell.

I would just get a new cell. 👍

I like that parts are readily available for the Aqua Rite. However, I did notice cell prices have really jumped up since I bought one in 2015. Still, when it comes time, I won’t hesitate to buy a new cell.

As far as buying a used Aqua Rite, if it can be demonstrated it works and is a good price, I’d probably go for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.