Use Cover Pump to Circulate Water Temporarily?

Malgal

Mar 27, 2022
Morgantown, WV
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
This might be a stupid question but can I use my autocover pump to circulate water for a couple of days while my pump is off? Minor repair being done which means I need the water below the skimmer for a couple of days. It just so happens to be the hottest week here in the mid Atlantic region this summer. If I sat the cover pump on a step or tanning shelf, and run the hose to the deep end, would that work? I've worked so hard to learn the chemicals and I really don't want to start from scratch in a couple of days when we top it back up. Or can I just add liquid chlorine and stir it up with a brush? My FC was 4.5 ppm this morning, CC 0.5 (barely - almost no color change) and pH was where it always is around 7.5. CYA is at 40. I won't be covering the pool while the water level is down. Edited to add - I do have main drains. Can I circulate from them? I am terrified of changing the plumbing. It is the one thing I haven't messed with yet. But the guy who opened my pool wrote MD and Skimmer on the pipes that go to my pump so I guess I can figure that out.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.