US Motors Pool Motor- Which Capacitor?

LMK17

May 4, 2018
Central Texas
Our pool motor has been burning through capacitors at a rate of about 1/year or sooner. On taking a closer look at the capacitor, I suspect it’s not the correct one. Can anyone let me know if this is the correct capacitor for this motor and if not, what capacitor should I replace it with?

It’s a US Motor Model K63CXEPW-4765
Current capacitor is a 370 VAC 50 MFD (I think it’s a run capacitor and we need a start capacitor?)

Attachments

• IMG_1015.jpeg
    IMG_1015.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1012.jpeg
    IMG_1012.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 12
I agree that cap does seem a bit suspicious. I've been poking around the internet but can't confirm on my end. We can ask @JamesW for some help.

I have to ask ... how old is that single speed? Can you post a pic of the serial number on that other label? I can't help but wonder if you're burning through caps either because the one you are showing may not be correct, or the motor itself is simply reaching the end of its service life.

I have to ask ... how old is that single speed? Can you post a pic of the serial number on that other label? I can't help but wonder if you're burning through caps either because the one you are showing may not be correct, or the motor itself is simply reaching the end of its service life.

I have no idea how old the pump is. We’ve been here 6 years, and it came with the house. I’m pretty curious myself. I can‘t quite tell how to determine the age from the serial number.

Check with inyopools.com.

They should know.

What capacitor did it come with?

Can you show the wiring compartment?

I’ll do that, thanks. I’m not sure what the original capacitor was. I suspect that it got swapped out for something different at some point, and we’ve just been carrying over the replacement. I’m attaching some extra photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1016.jpeg
    IMG_1016.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1017.jpeg
    IMG_1017.jpeg
    407.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    451.3 KB · Views: 9
I don't know what exact capacitor came with the pump, but it was probably a run capacitor and not a start capacitor.

We checked, and the capacitor that was in there (270VAC, 50MFD) is the correct one.

Just out of curiosity, what made you say it was probably a run capacitor? You were correct, of course. I’m trying to train my eye: What can I look for in the future to get a better idea of what type of capacitor is used in a particular pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.