Urethane between coping, tile and deck?

Brant

Jan 25, 2024
Boerne Texas
What are the best products to caulk the joints between the coping to waterline tile and coping to deck? What products do people recommend? Same for both locations or different? I want to use the best, not the cheapest.

Deck-O-Seal

Deck-O-Seal

Thank you! Any recommendation on the joint between the coping and waterline tile?

Hello, I'm trying to understand what the correct process is and materials to use when filling in the gunite around PVC (returns/jets) and Conduit (light) penetrations in the pool shell. What materials do people recommend to fill this void and is it recommended to waterproof around the penetration before plaster? Just want to know the process and steps so I understand if it is being performed correctly.

Thank you!

Hydraulic cement

We just had a discussion about it here...

full

The contractor I talked to said they typically use Xypex hydraulic cement around the penetrations.

Any concern with this product?
Looks fine. Quality of the applicator is as important as quality of the product.

Looks fine. Quality of the applicator is as important as quality of the product.

The builder also likes using Versabond for the tile but I'm leaning toward Laticrete 254. It's more expensive but it sounds like the better product for pools. Does it probably even matter or am I overthinking this?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The builder also likes using Versabond for the tile but I'm leaning toward Laticrete 254. It's more expensive but it sounds like the better product for pools. Does it probably even matter or am I overthinking this?
The technique is more important then the product.

I understand the point your making but some products are not appropriate for certain applications. Is versabond an acceptable product for waterline tile? I don't see pools listed on its literature. If you don't know, that's fine also.

It looks like your builder likes to use products that can be bought at HD versus more specialty suppliers.

Versabond does not mention it is suitable for submerged applications unlike Laticrete which does. I would prefer Laticrete be used.

@AQUA~HOLICS @bdavis466 you have an opinion on Versabond?

Reactions: Brant
It looks like your builder likes to use products that can be bought at HD versus more specialty suppliers.

Versabond does not mention it is suitable for submerged applications unlike Laticrete which does. I would prefer Laticrete be used.

@AQUA~HOLICS @bdavis466 you have an opinion on Versabond?
Thanks. Curious why do you say this? I looked and Versabond is indeed sold at HD but AFAIK, Xypex is not.

Thanks. Curious why do you say this? I looked and Versabond is indeed sold at HD but AFAIK, Xypex is not.

I saw HD come up when I searched for Xypex. May be a regional thing.

Also, the builder is open to using whatever products I want to use. This is why I'm trying to figure out what is acceptable vs what is preferred. When I mentioned Basecrete waterproofer and told me that he believed XYPEX makes a superior waterproofing application. I obviously have no experience or opinion- that's why I'm here.

Edit: I'm definitely using Laticrete 254 on the waterline tile. I'm probably fine with Versabond on the raised wall tile but I think cost is negligible in the grand scheme so I'll probably just recommend 254 for everything to be on the safe side.
I suppose for the hydraulic cement it is less important about the product and more about application and cure time. If XYPEX makes a hydraulic cement that he prefers to use, I don't see a reason to pick a different product.

Few people have experience doing A versus B comparisons of products. Most folks will se whet they have had good experience with. A good start is always checking the usage the manufacturer recommends.

The brand doesn’t matter but the rating does. The Versabond I’ve seen is not rated for submerged applications but maybe they have a product that is?

Laticrete has exceptional products for your specific application.

Waterproofing is similar too. Make sure it’s rated for submersion and suitable for the positive or negative ( or both) side of the shell.

I’m partial to Basecrete but there are other options. Laticrete has waterproofing that is also very good.

Regardless, using a quality thinset and waterproofing will yield far better results than using something that isn’t designed for the specific application.

The brand doesn’t matter but the rating does. The Versabond I’ve seen is not rated for submerged applications but maybe they have a product that is?

Laticrete has exceptional products for your specific application.

Waterproofing is similar too. Make sure it’s rated for submersion and suitable for the positive or negative ( or both) side of the shell.

I’m partial to Basecrete but there are other options. Laticrete has waterproofing that is also very good.

Regardless, using a quality thinset and waterproofing will yield far better results than using something that isn’t designed for the specific application.
What Laticrete waterproofing do you recommend? I'm trying to do some research on the differences. I just haven't found a ton of reviews on XYPEX so I'd rather use something that is widely used across the industry. Since I'm using Laticrete for the thinset, it might make sense to just use Laticrete for the waterproofing also.

Along these lines, what do people recommend for epoxy grout on porcelain waterline tile?

edit: looks like Laticrete make a couple different waterproofing products but the only one i see for pools uses a fabric with the membrane. i don't want to make the install any more challenging than it needs to be and this product sounds like there is more potential to incorrectly apply it.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support