Upgrading to Variable speed pump...

Apr 23, 2017
Las Vegas
FINALLY ready to pull the trigger on a variable speed pump! Just wanted to confirm that I am ordering the right one/that the install will go smoothly. Here is the new pump I am looking to buy (unless somebody has a better recommendation)...

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-3420...ords=variable+speed+pool+pump#customerReviews

Here are some pics of my current (insanely loud) pump. Does it look like the swap will be easy?

m_5BYHJt6obvge8XbS14iONNCLTd62e8w0tKwKqGN7lmQKYzblRfeWo8Kw9Tz1LN_8EMg21km297HmZE00TAeoyjIqsbJEFjstpJOOE1kcHjhbD4QS5Ej6RZNmktID-ePjK8c6K5vmm08_oSGi0w124FERIK50kVdubEnovD4uM_RBYu3qe4kLjTmbLxnyVE3rqgEUc8ltyqq5Or2bszeq_84IEflxheWAIxCfjxBq1HiRwH0GKbHVosXYzCHWCwBleblJrJ500uiKygK1AATXe0INxeVSrvwDi7qQhB5Dr0yrq0kDlF07dFXcRACrqmPeLFrjTqa0LI5I9WR635NnxMcNZTcpGWrasGbkBcSGVoD15LJCcAaBp0kMDCuqZF6WqIiyHN0MjzgidztK2NJ63dax6UFsQql1tCgzjoAy-27yvkkPl_RAgTcdCDD0H7gwAswWYTjsP9e3Zeyvs45afmfKUb64b_1St61WEie70Pqy3yMh3oiL7XF3zSrRkpT4B0JB1LgGBSapFzhAtOCARDxR6h6CdxHgsRYdVEGobYEommYRzwKYXBcsWv-95sBHs14K5fPzdiZANIs0cijhetp1Tlp0QO09rhFoQ=w2517-h1887-no

rRdWnG8yiHIkDm9wDRQ7w2Vojk4ClBlKTlf_8IVuqb7CqgWu-48k_3XNAi1ZDHA3B4wFeRM3JLaw8ZqaDwrEHB0ilT3Y41AaHWXM6ftnO2LIL92C0ofw4Y7fiTF-ZwkBslWqMFHIiNkWA_9ry7uFiLntMf9B55PhVPFE8p1-WZ_sYPT6jqnJOvh_ck3IKuj-seRmmWUA_jFqTuBm_BOPuvqix9TaCN9ikjZIGB1xBPMTSZASNcEXWZ1VneZVMrENWaBPuynEwmDhC20soFxMGKuc3PgiQOlKSYIFvWnb7Q0RilflCTski2bujkzviHVyMCYmKT09Viv1dzaqNtCoLSgEFV9Qbt9CXC5g8G6xNRPRWWMEuonJJ9pDadapE9Ewponk1fU3MiS3kskkv8_m1ClVmWKkCO0Po1w7_JmWMe2g3ugdYFUov8nYazM-uLs9SZZ2rChcQ5gze8irCARybA-vFtOcUBGElxiV_E_f2pK7PHFzgbd-4OCWgColHLvItWMu63pK0I4G-fawAuztjNmUiDVhszmVmfVh59lOZ6nkV4mRt62kEBDspeXVPTL28b6tP6W85a-CrcgHpD-sgw__W5WmE5tqqCOE_M0=w2517-h1887-no

I know a couple pool guys/contractors with plumbing experience who might be able to do the install, but I'm not sure about how much I should be expecting to pay? You guys have any rough estimates?

Thanks

Good idea about the rebate, didn't think of that. Just called my electric company and they are coming out to do a free energy audit on Friday (figured why not). I will ask them about any pool pump rebates (didn't see any on their website (nv energy)).

You might be able to swap out the motor of your existing pump.
That's what I did because I didn't have much room to re plumb.
I bought the Century V165 variable speed motor and a new seal ($12).
It was an easy DIY, there are many videos, but you do need 220V for this motor.
The down side is automation control for Century is not well supported by the major brands.
But the link you sent was for Pentair Superflo, and I think that model also is not good for automation control either as it requires relays.
I could not see the pics in your post, you just need to match the frame style, horsepower (HP) and Service Factor (SF) to find the replacement motor.

Hmm swapping out just the motor seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth.

As far as voltage goes though, I noticed my current pump says 208-230, am I going to have trouble if I swap it out with that pentair I linked?

In my opinion. swapping a motor is less trouble than re plumbing.

I decided to swap out my DE filter for a cartridge filter. I thought this would be an easy plumb job.
The inlet and outlet are swapped for DE and Cartridge. It took me forever to do this simple job because I do not do it every day, and I made a mistake and had to re do some part of it. I also waited to make sure the glue had hardened.

Swapping the motor took about 30 minutes, for me I know it was much easier than replacing the whole pump.

You also might be OK with a 2 speed motor, those are even cheaper.

I needed more than 2 speeds, did not want to re plumb, and have hopes of more automation, hence I bought the Century VS.

The superflo VS will run on either 110v or 220v no need to worry about your power. You will need to supply the pump with power directly tho and not thru a mechanical pool timer. The electronics are meant to have power all the time.

The superflo VS ... You will need to supply the pump with power directly tho and not thru a mechanical pool timer. The electronics are meant to have power all the time.

CJadamec: I am considering a Superflo 342001 as well, and I currently have a mechanical timer. Since the 342001 keeps the time for up to 24 hours after power outages, can I just keep the "off" periods to the minimum the timer allows? e.g. set the time to turn off power at 7am and turn back on at 8am. That way the VS pump doesn't even know power went out and all the pre-sets are maintained?

What do you think?

You can just pull the trippers out of the mechanical timer, so that it’s always on. But, it’s pretty simple to move the pump supply wires from the switched side to the hot side of the timer. That’s what I did, so I could still use the timer for switching my SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Are you guys using a twist-lock connector to plug into an receptacle or hard-wiring these VS pumps? My existing old Hayward pumps have the twist-locks.

Also, forgive me if I'm not supposed to say this on TFP, but I found "Pool supply unlimited" is selling the Pentair 342001 for $635 shipped and Pentair is giving a $50 rebate for this pump. Seems like a pretty good deal?

Are you guys using a twist-lock connector to plug into an receptacle or hard-wiring these VS pumps? My existing old Hayward pumps have the twist-locks.

Also, forgive me if I'm not supposed to say this on TFP, but I found "Pool supply unlimited" is selling the Pentair 342001 for $635 shipped and Pentair is giving a $50 rebate for this pump. Seems like a pretty good deal?
I dunno about twist lock conn but if it were mine, hardwire by all means for a clean and secured wiring connections!

As far as the Pentair $50 rebate is concerned, you need to be aware that All purchases, excluding cleaners, must be installed by a professional to qualify. The same applies to Hayward $75 rebate program. Question is, how much will it cost you to engage a professional to install the pump? Check with your local electric company if 342001 is eligible for the Energy Star Certified pool pump rebates program.

Ok, thanks guys. I think I will go with the Pentair VS 342001 since it's not much more than a replacement 2-speed motor. Do you recommend a surge protector? If so, which brand? I just bought a heat pump, and since the electrician will be here next week, I may as well get the surge protector done at the same time (if recommended). Thanks again.

I prefer the Square D HEPD 80 for a panel surge protector. They offer much greater protection than many of the other common options available.

A surge protector is definitely recommended nut not required.

I actually added two surge protectors when I put in my VS pump. A larger one on my main service panel.
https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-CHSPT2U...urge+protector

And a smaller one just on the pool sub panel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Eaton Ultra is among the highest rating of any whole house surge protector you can find. Check prices, I paid less than Amazon by shopping elsewhere.

Total cost for both less than $120 and one afternoon to install.

Check I also have 2 of these, however I have the 2nd edition ones (not sure what is the difference between the 2nd and 3 rd edition) one at the main panel and one at the sub panel. chiefwej your link did not show properly so I am posting another link for the OP. Here is the link https://www.amazon.com/CHSPT2ULTRA-Ultimate-Protection-Length-Height/dp/B01AQAKRSS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1524313128&sr=8-5&keywords=eaton

*update

Well after calling around some places I talked to a guy who told me I would be disappointed with the Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS (linked at top) because it had only 1.5" pipes (I guess mine are 2"). He recommended some other Hayward brand but total with install would be over 1300.

Found another guy who said that we could use an 2" to 1.5" adapter and the Pentair would work fine. He said he would charge 175 for the labor (for 620 + 175).

Does anyone have experience with the Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS and its 1.5" pipes? The reviews are great, but the whole pipe diameter thing is making me a tad nervous...

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-3420...=1524518845&sr=1-5&keywords=pentair+pool+pump

*update2

Talked to yet another guy who is offering a Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump 3 Horsepower for 769 and will do the install for 175. so with tax grand total around 1000.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-011018-IntelliFlo-Performance-Horsepower/dp/B007E4VWNO/ref=sr_1_6?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1524518845&sr=1-6&keywords=pentair+pool+pump

This will give me the standard 2" pipes and an extra 1.5horse power should I ever need it. Plus this pool store does a 3 year warranty (vs ordering online which I heard is only 3 months?).

Thoughts?

Been on 1.5 inch pipe since day 1 with no problems. The guy who said you would have issues simply doesn't understand how VS pumps work. Ignore the HP of the pump it means very little when sizing a VS pump. You are getting a perfectly capable pump for your pool and it will save a ton of electricity while being super quiet.

650 for the pump and 175 for install is a good deal go with that guy.

The inteliflo guy is selling the pump for 150 less than online retail... It's either a used pump or something fishy is going on there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.