Upgrading to an Intex Salt Water System

Welcome to TFP :)

You may have to call Intex to find that information... You may get lucky and someone will have done the same thing but I really doubt it... Now that you have found us get a great test kit and take control of your new pool :)

This is the SWG you’ll need, if you can find it in stock anywhere. Intex offers a 7000 gallon one or 15000. You’ll want to be sure to get the larger. It’s easily compatible with intex pumps, but there may be a few small bits you’ll need. It will come with 1-1/2” threaded hoses and if you have the clamp hoses you will need adapters at the least.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Have the same 9x18 Purchased the SWG (see signature). Nothing else to purchase.
Will be upgrading my filter next year. Most likely going with a Hayward that can pump out 3000GPH and change the intake and exhaust to 1.5" standard fittings.

1 left on Amazon, not sure if thats a good price or not.

At the prices the intex SWG are selling for now I would probably go with a different mainstream brand. Those Intex SWG would be going for less than $100 if it wasn't for the covid. They only last a couple seasons before they need to be replaced or the cell replaced if they are still available. I normally get 2-3 seasons out of the intex SWG. But when I could buy them for ~$80 it was worth it. Now at close to $300 I would get a standard SWG with available parts when the cell needs replacing.

Reactions: sammckin and cscupp
we had the intex SWG and even if we ran it 24/7 it never created enough chlorine BUT we had 22ftX 52in and we had the 15000 gallon SWG so not the twice the size as recommended and the cell did not stay working for very long at all replaced it at least once a year either under warranty if we could actually get someone from intex to understand what part I was talking about even with part numbers they were clueless as english was not their first language

Last edited:
At the prices the intex SWG are selling for now I would probably go with a different mainstream brand. Those Intex SWG would be going for less than $100 if it wasn't for the covid. They only last a couple seasons before they need to be replaced or the cell replaced if they are still available. I normally get 2-3 seasons out of the intex SWG. But when I could buy them for ~$80 it was worth it. Now at close to $300 I would get a standard SWG with available parts when the cell needs replacing.
I was wondering if that was high. I bought the rechargeable intex vac for $50 a couple months ago and went to buy another for a friend a week later, the price was almost double!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.