spicyboi759

Jun 7, 2022
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, still new to maintaining a pool and wanting to upgrade my SS pump to a VS pump. Towards the end of last season my pump was failing to start (I think the capacitor is failing again, already have replaced once) and I'd like a more energy efficient and timer schedulable VS pump now. My current SS pump is 1HP and I've got piping of 1.5 PVC for a ~25,000 gallon inground chlorinated pool, sand filter. The pipe run is probably close to 30ft from the pump to the pool if that matters. Ideally I'd like the pump to run 8-12 hrs throughout the night for daily cleaning. I'm leaning towards the CircuPool SmartFlo® Variable Speed Pool Pump right now but confused on what the ideal HP for my pool should be. I appreciate any insight or any thoughts, thanks!

Attachments

• Pump.jpg
    Pump.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Setup1.jpg
    Setup1.jpg
    969.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Setup2.jpg
    Setup2.jpg
    908.5 KB · Views: 21
Ideally you want a bigger VS pump that moves the same flow with less RPMs, saving energy.

That said, the cost bump from 1.5 to 3HP may take a long time to recover if using the 'big 3' brands. (Pentair/Hayward/Jandy)

Look at Calimar 3Hp. It's a sister clone of the Circupool for about half the price.

Ideally you want a bigger VS pump that moves the same flow with less RPMs, saving energy.

That said, the cost bump from 1.5 to 3HP may take a long time to recover if using the 'big 3' brands. (Pentair/Hayward/Jandy)

Look at Calimar 3Hp. It's a sister clone of the Circupool for about half the price.
Thanks Newdude. Is 3 HP the best to upgrade to just based on pool size? From my research online, it seems like some people argue against buying the strongest HP just because its the strongest. Looking into Calimar and it seems like a great deal when compared to Circupool.

it seems like some people argue against buying the strongest HP just because its the strongest.
Correct. When its not needed. But modern VS pumps turn the ages old advice upside down.

A 3 hp moves the same water with less energy of a 1.5 hp, which is why you went VS in the first place. The only caveat is if upsizing costs more than the ROI. With the generic pumps, you'll make your $200 (?) back and then some. With the $2k pumps, maybe not if going larger cost $900 for only little gains.

Hi all, still new to maintaining a pool and wanting to upgrade my SS pump to a VS pump. Towards the end of last season my pump was failing to start (I think the capacitor is failing again, already have replaced once) and I'd like a more energy efficient and timer schedulable VS pump now. My current SS pump is 1HP and I've got piping of 1.5 PVC for a ~25,000 gallon inground chlorinated pool, sand filter. The pipe run is probably close to 30ft from the pump to the pool if that matters. Ideally I'd like the pump to run 8-12 hrs throughout the night for daily cleaning. I'm leaning towards the CircuPool SmartFlo® Variable Speed Pool Pump right now but confused on what the ideal HP for my pool should be. I appreciate any insight or any thoughts, thanks!

Is your equipment below the pool? What is that plumbing loop in front of the pump?
It looks like you may be running your pump on 120V. That limits your pump/motor options. Calimar VSP are 240 only, as most VSP are.
Waterway Power Defender 140 is a good option that will run on 120V. Its often listed as an above-ground pump but works well on an in-ground pool. The 165 would be a better option as it could be run at a slightly lower rpm
A Nidec Neptune NPTT165 motor can run on 120V and would turn your pump into a VSP.
A GO KIT 3 would get you the rest of the gaskets and seal needed for the job.

Reactions: Newdude
Also, the warranty is better for the Circupool or Black and Decker pumps, but at 2x the cost, the Calimar can fail and you can buy another during the warranty period of the more expensive ones. Statistically speaking, you won't need either warranty and pocket the difference.

Is your equipment below the pool? What is that plumbing loop in front of the pump?
It looks like you may be running your pump on 120V. That limits your pump/motor options. Calimar VSP are 240 only, as most VSP are.
Waterway Power Defender 140 is a good option that will run on 120V. Its often listed as an above-ground pump but works well on an in-ground pool. The 165 would be a better option as it could be run at a slightly lower rpm
A Nidec Neptune NPTT165 motor can run on 120V and would turn your pump into a VSP.
A GO KIT 3 would get you the rest of the gaskets and seal needed for the job.
Yeah the equipment is lower than the pool, there's a slight hill so the pump has to work on an incline. The pump that came with the house/pool has good flow for the HP and age though, I had it inspected by a pool store before buying this place and they were impressed by the strength of the flow. My current pump and hookup out there is 240V.

240 V feed.
You have lots of options.
How much do you want to spend upfront.
Slower the pump runs the quieter it will be.
1.5" or 2" does not matter.
Remember, all you are trying to do is run it just fast enough to have your skimmers work properly and or you SWG work. Personally i run mine slow 24/7.
If you are set on a daily shut off then plan to shut it of during your high cost KW hours.

240 V feed.
You have lots of options.
How much do you want to spend upfront.
Slower the pump runs the quieter it will be.
1.5" or 2" does not matter.
Remember, all you are trying to do is run it just fast enough to have your skimmers work properly and or you SWG work. Personally i run mine slow 24/7.
If you are set on a daily shut off then plan to shut it of during your high cost KW hours.
I was willing to spend quite a bit on Circupool but I think I'm gonna try out the Calimar just based on cost. Yeah my plan is to not run during high cost KW hours for the most part. Thanks!

No comment on pumps, others have said enough … but … Goodness gracious, definitely redo that plumbing. There’s no need for the giant loop on the intake side, just use a check valve and maybe a shutoff valve (Jandy) to stop the water flow when cleaning the strainer basket. I believe the spec is that you want 10X the diameter of the pipe of straight pipe length into the pump to avoid cavitation. Also, replace the hard 90 elbows with sweep 90’s to reduce head losses. I’m assuming that flex PVC is on the backwash waste line, so that’s ok. No need to replumb that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And the way the current pump plugs into that outlet is a violation of code. The outlet and plug are fine but the outlet box should be a covered environmental style that seals around the wire when closed. In the current setup, the plug and outlet can get wet when it rains.

The cord goes out the notch in the bottom so the cover closes. Yours bumps out to accommodate a regular plug, but the pump plug is too big so it won't close.

Screenshot_20240307_155525_Gallery.jpg

20240307_160056.jpg

A deeper cover would work but it'll cost peanuts to replace the whole thing.

• Love
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Yeah the equipment is lower than the pool, there's a slight hill so the pump has to work on an incline. The pump that came with the house/pool has good flow for the HP and age though, I had it inspected by a pool store before buying this place and they were impressed by the strength of the flow. My current pump and hookup out there is 240V.
Do yourself a favor and hardwire the electric. Much safer.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Do yourself a favor and hardwire the electric. Much safer.
I'm not disagreeing but only pointing out that Spicyboi is in Michagan and may bring the pump inside for winter. The plug really comes in handy for that. Mine sure does.

I hard wired / un hard wired my heat pump whip every year to bring it inside and while it only took 15 mins, it was still a PITA. The pump took 3 seconds.

Reactions: 1poolman1
I'm not disagreeing but only pointing out that Spicyboi is in Michagan and may bring the pump inside for winter. The plug really comes in handy for that. Mine sure does.

I hard wired / un hard wired my heat pump whip every year to bring it inside and while it only took 15 mins, it was still a PITA. The pump took 3 seconds.

Hubbel makes many different kinds of water tight receptacles and plugs that twist and seal. They come in all different configurations. You could easily install a 240V receptacle and then have a watertight plug on the motor power cable. It would be 240V, safe and removable.

Does code allow it … talk to an electrician about that 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Newdude
Yeah now's a good time to make those electrical changes
No comment on pumps, others have said enough … but … Goodness gracious, definitely redo that plumbing. There’s no need for the giant loop on the intake side, just use a check valve and maybe a shutoff valve (Jandy) to stop the water flow when cleaning the strainer basket. I believe the spec is that you want 10X the diameter of the pipe of straight pipe length into the pump to avoid cavitation. Also, replace the hard 90 elbows with sweep 90’s to reduce head losses. I’m assuming that flex PVC is on the backwash waste line, so that’s ok. No need to replumb that.
Yeah this season would be a good one to make these changes and the fix the electrical box as well. I'll add it to my list, I won't even get started on the condition of the pool shed. Thanks for the input.