Upgraded from single speed to variable speed pump!

midmodonhillwood

Gold Supporter
Oct 18, 2023
Shingle Springs, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Once again I'm surprised by my home warranty company, first they got me a nice cartridge filter to replace our old sand filter which was probably original from 1977, and today I got a new pool pump, (variable speed because we are in California).

We had a Hayward MAX-FLO PUMP 1.5 HP and our pool repair guy just installed a VGREEN EVO (600-3450 RPM). He said he just left it on "Schedule 1" and said it should be fine. I run the pump for 5 hours a day and if I keep this schedule, I won't be able to take advantage of much RPM drop. Since we moved into this home with solar and the solar battery I have become very aware of our energy usage, even though we now own a pool LOL!!

Is the consensus that I need to try to use a different schedule that is more energy efficient, or do most people with this pump in California stick with the default?

Thank you!IMG_4581.jpegIMG_4582.jpeg

The time a pump should be run is for specific reasons
Skimming
Mixing Chemicals
Producing chlorine (if there is a SWCG - not applicable to you)

Skimming takes a certain speed and based on pool size, plumbing setup, etc. Some run at 1200 rpm, others require higher rpm - each pool is different
Also some run for 24 hrs (especially if they have a SWCG) and others like yourself may only be 5 hrs.

If you can change the preset schedules, then try to run at a speed below 2000 rpm and determine if you get skimming action. If so, try to go lower rpm. I find 1500 rpm on mine does well. However every pool is different. If you can mix and skim below 2000rpm then you should take advantage of the energy savings.

Reactions: midmodonhillwood
Once again I'm surprised by my home warranty company, first they got me a nice cartridge filter to replace our old sand filter which was probably original from 1977, and today I got a new pool pump, (variable speed because we are in California).

We had a Hayward MAX-FLO PUMP 1.5 HP and our pool repair guy just installed a VGREEN EVO (600-3450 RPM). He said he just left it on "Schedule 1" and said it should be fine. I run the pump for 5 hours a day and if I keep this schedule, I won't be able to take advantage of much RPM drop. Since we moved into this home with solar and the solar battery I have become very aware of our energy usage, even though we now own a pool LOL!!

Is the consensus that I need to try to use a different schedule that is more energy efficient, or do most people with this pump in California stick with the default?

Thank you!View attachment 565822View attachment 565823
Your pool guy didn't take the time to do all the button pushes that it takes to program that motor (don't really like saying something about fellow pool guys). A schedule of 5 hours a day in your area is not likely to be enough for your pool to stay clean.
You don't need to use the "Schedule Set B: CA Compliant" schedules. If you want to stay in that set, change it to Schedule 6, start at 2:00AM, have your timer turn off at 2:00PM.
Or, set your motor up on "Schedule Set A," use schedule 4 for the same amount of time. Your pool will love you.

Your pool guy didn't take the time to do all the button pushes that it takes to program that motor (don't really like saying something about fellow pool guys). A schedule of 5 hours a day in your area is not likely to be enough for your pool to stay clean.
You don't need to use the "Schedule Set B: CA Compliant" schedules. If you want to stay in that set, change it to Schedule 6, start at 2:00AM, have your timer turn off at 2:00PM.
Or, set your motor up on "Schedule Set A," use schedule 4 for the same amount of time. Your pool will love you.
Thanks for the reply!

He isn't our pool guy, just the company our home warranty company sends out when we have needed repairs in the past!!

I have been running the pump from 7-12 since we moved in in October and our pool has remained nice and clean, but you say that is not long enough? The guy mentioned that in the winter time an hour is long enough but I have just always thought 7-12 was good.

He explained to me and left the manual how to choose the different schedules, I will look at the different schedules you suggested!

Thank you!

Thanks for the reply!

He isn't our pool guy, just the company our home warranty company sends out when we have needed repairs in the past!!

I have been running the pump from 7-12 since we moved in in October and our pool has remained nice and clean, but you say that is not long enough? The guy mentioned that in the winter time an hour is long enough but I have just always thought 7-12 was good.

He explained to me and left the manual how to choose the different schedules, I will look at the different schedules you suggested!

Thank you!
If you want to run your filter 5 hours a day at full speed, and it keeps the pool to your liking, why not?
But, if you want the benefits of using that motor's capabilities to keep the pool clean, the chemicals mixed, not have to worry much about freeze in the Winter by starting a cycle at 2:00AM, and save energy by running at lower RPM, you choose one of the built-in programs that allow for that.

If you want to run your filter 5 hours a day at full speed, and it keeps the pool to your liking, why not?
But, if you want the benefits of using that motor's capabilities to keep the pool clean, the chemicals mixed, not have to worry much about freeze in the Winter by starting a cycle at 2:00AM, and save energy by running at lower RPM, you choose one of the built-in programs that allow for that.
I like the Schedule "A", schedule 4 idea!

It seems like it uses less energy than the Schedule "A" California one, is it okay to run it here in Cali?

I like the Schedule "A", schedule 4 idea!

It seems like it uses less energy than the Schedule "A" California one, is it okay to run it here in Cali?
Its your pool, you can do what you want. No one is watching. While there are guidelines (somewhere published by CA), the basic "requirement" is that the slow speed is used more than the high ones. That works best for most pools. It was at PG&E's urging that the state went with the Title 20 requirements in the first place. You want to pay them as little as possible to keep your pool clean and, believe it or not, they want you to use less electricity to filter your pool because they can't produce more.

Its your pool, you can do what you want. No one is watching. While there are guidelines (somewhere published by CA), the basic "requirement" is that the slow speed is used more than the high ones. That works best for most pools. It was at PG&E's urging that the state went with the Title 20 requirements in the first place. You want to pay them as little as possible to keep your pool clean and, believe it or not, they want you to use less electricity to filter your pool because they can't produce more.
I'm already noticing a difference in energy consumption with our solar and Emporia Energy Apps just with the default schedule.

We have a solar battery and switch to it between peak hours 4-9 PM and that helps too!

I will give Schedule A, schedule 4 a try! It's not as easy as it sounds, I need to remember how to program the old bedroom wall mounted Jandy Industries "Time Master" dinosaur that came with the house!! I have a PDF saved on the laptop!