Updating my pool, SWG, Automation possibly, UV??

GeorgeChicago

Bronze Supporter
Mar 12, 2021
chicago
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hello everyone. We purchased our house last year and had this setup already. I am looking at making our pool easier to maintain and better for my family(asthma). I asked our 2 local pool stores for some quotes. We have a 32k gallon pool.

After reading these forums I see many people say go with a double the size SWG. One store recommended the IC60 installed for $3400 and the other(PB) says we only need an IC40 and that is $2300 installed(said they stock the IC40 and would have to try to locate the IC60 If I really wanted that). The store with the IC60 quote also quoted me $2300 for a pentair UV system installed and highly recommended it, the PB says UV systems break often in our area(Chicago NW suburb). When I checked out polytek pools that someone linked in another thread there prices were way less just for the parts $1240 for the IC60 with power and $1060 for the IC40, that is where I found the Pentair IntelliCenter 5PIC60kit with the IC 60 for $2400. I think I want automation now. I like the idea of the VS pump and running it more often at lower speeds(thanks to the forums for the info). I see the VS pentair pumps for $1400 there too.

Do I just order the parts and get an installed from one of the stores(not sure they would do that)? I would like to stay with the PB since they have done all openings and closing and installed all previous equipment. What is everyone's thoughts? I am new to pools and very confused at what to do. Thank you for any input.

I've never had a UV system, but research on this site and elsewhere convinced me not to go with one in spite of what some prospective pool builders recommended. There are a lot of otherwise great builders who don't know much about water chemistry.

If you do decide on an SWG, then the IC60 sounds like the way to go. We have about a 20k gallon pool, and during peak daylight season we need to run our IC40 at about 60%-70% for around 8-10 hours a day to keep up with the chlorine loss. On a pool your size you may be need to run an IC40 at 100% and past daylight hours sometimes.

We also have the Intellicenter and everything else Pentair, which we lucked into. I've been very happy with the setup, and a lot of the pool experts on this site will swear by Pentair. The automation is definitely, definitely worth it. I would forego a lot of other pool features before I'd consider giving it up. Make sure you get the latest Pentair SmartLogic setup to go with it, so you can control the equipment from your phone or PC. Pentair also offers a MagicTouch something or other, which is a little plastic wireless remote with a tiny LED screen and a couple of buttons. We suffered with one for a couple of weeks before I realized that the builder was supposed to give us a SmartLogic.

The Intelliflo VSF pump is also nice if you ever plan to run solar, as it can automatically adjust its rpm to maintain a nominal flow rate for better panel longevity, but otherwise the VS is surely fine.

If you've been happy with your builder and they have a reputation to protect, then maybe let them do the install. I don't think I'd let anyone associated with the local pool store near my equipment.

Outdoor pools get plenty of free UV from the sun and don’t need a UV system...

If you get a IC40 you will need to run your pump close to 24/7 to generate sufficient chlorine in the middle of the summer. You can make a IC40 work in your climate where it would not for someone down south. A IC60 will work better and probably last longer for the cost difference.

Last edited:
George,

Your pool company is not going to install the parts you buy for free.. Generally, if you can buy something for $100 bucks, your PB will sell you the same parts for $200 bucks plus installation...

That said, I would not hesitate to tell your PB that you plan to buy the parts yourself and ask for a quote on just the install..

You for sure do not need a UV or OZone system..

Other than the initial cost, an IntelliFlo VS or VSF pump, along with an IntelliCenter 5PIC60 is the best set up you can get...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Outdoor pools get plenty of free UV from the sun and don’t need a UV system...
I've never understood the push for UV systems.. Yes I know what the snake oil salesmen say.. its poppycock! Like AJ sez, you get all the UV you will need from the sun.. And UV degrades your chlorine.. why install something that is just going to reduce your FC anyway.

I agree an IC60 with an Intellicenter would be your best option. As for making your pool easier to maintain, an SWG is the way to go. I assume you are doing all the maintenance yourself? An SWG makes it easier.

Last edited:
George,

What to do depends on your capability to DIY the install and your desire to get a warranty. If you can install yourself you'll save a ton of money but your warranty will be dramatically reduced (60 days last time I checked). For me that was fine since I know how to do the install, most electronics fail within a couple weeks or last way past the warranty period. Also, the warrantied cost was so high I could almost buy a spare unit. So I installed it myself and got a little help here on configuration of the software. The documentation is weak but there are experts here that can walk you through the process. My install has been working like a breeze for my fairly complicated install with 3rd party VS pump plus solar and gas heat. Your install will be simpler. Intellicenter was brand new when I installed so the software had some glitches but they've been fixed now and it works great now. Definitely go with the standard TFP recommendation to size the swg for 2X your pool volume. This gives you way more flexibility to use the swg for a longer time before you have to supplement or buy a new cell. One thing to think about on salt cells is they all do have a few cell failures early in life and it's an expensive repair if not under warranty. You do also have the option to buy a 3rd party like Circupool or Autopilot with a full warranty. I have Circupool and it works great. You can't control %power since it doesn't "talk" on the Pentair RS485 but you rarely need this and you can control runtime for any salt system with any automation. I think Pentair makes excellent pool equipment and will do their equipment on my next pool but I'll make an exception for the swg due to salt cell warranty for DIY. If you do go with Pentair for the swg definitely use the kit you mentioned. It includes the salt cell transformer mounted inside the enclosure and is way cheaper.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Chris

Reactions: MyAZPool and mguzzy
I've never understood the push for UV systems.
I think most people assume that when they swim in a pool and their eyes hurt, it's because there's too much chlorine. I used to think so, and I initially leaned toward a UV system because I thought it would allow us to reduce the amount of chlorine in the pool. There was no shortage of well-meaning builders who thought the same thing.

Reactions: mguzzy and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.