Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all, back again.

We talked a few weeks ago and I updated my Intellicenter FW to 2.017 and all was pretty good, except I was getting a nagging alert that the Intelliflow 3.03/3.04 was out of date. I just hit "dismiss but show again" and everything seemed to be fine for a week or two.

Then one day during the day I noticed the pump was running at a very high rpm. I was adjusting the rpm in the app and tried putting it into service mode from the panel, but the pump was not responding to anything, including the schedule (everything else shuts off but pump still running at high rpm). Only thing was cutting the power at the breaker.

I turned everything on today, turned on the pump breaker and it primped and seemed to go to the "normal" flow so I thought to myself, great, maybe it was just a glitch. But come back and its doing the same thing - pump is running at high rpm and nothing will do anything except the breaker.

I have a service case with Pentair and someone is supposed to come take a look but was curious if there is something I can do in the mean time. I did not see a firmware for the Intelliflow pump on the Pentair site.

Aaron,

With the system in AUTO and Pool.. go look at the pump and see if the display shows "Display Not Active" (It should) or does it show an RPM or similar screen (It should not..)

Then go into the Service mode and see if the pump stops.. (It should)...

If the pump does not say "Display not Active" it means the Automation is not in control of the pump.

If you go into the Service mode and the pump does not stop, that means the pump is running a schedule inside the pump. There is no reason to have a schedule inside the pump. Going into the Service mod should shut the pump off.

I don't think this is a FW issue, but we will see... Sorry, I did not realize that you had bad F/W in your pump..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: heckofagator
Roll the firmware back to 1.64 until they can come and update the pump. As 2.017 is a "re- architecture" of the firmware it worsens the frequency of pump disconnects from the rs485 bus. Prior to the pump firmware update, my 011056 pumps would disconnect several times per day and the only way to get it back was cycle the breaker. In my case it took a month for a pentair service rep "that knew what they were dping" came and updated the pump.
In my case , I temp connected the pump to a spare intellicenter relay so I could remotely cycle it.

Another alternative is to go into service mode in intellicenter, then set a 24hr schedule in the pump at your "Normal operation " rpm. This way when the pump loses rs485 it will default to that program.

Thank you guys. I didnt get a chance to update here last night, but I did turn on the system for a couple hours and it appeared to behave normally. This wasn't totally unexpected as the past couple of days it seems to start out fine but then goes crazy later.

I assume fw rollback is the same as an upgrade by usb? Am I asking the repair guy to update the pump fw?

Another alternative is to go into service mode in intellicenter, then set a 24hr schedule in the pump at your "Normal operation " rpm. This way when the pump loses rs485 it will default to that program.
Is there any downside to doing this? Hopefully the pump menu is pretty self explanatory. I have never been in there.

Am I asking the repair guy to update the pump fw?
Yes - in my area there is only 1 service company that has this ability or the local sales rep. The sales rep is who they initially told me would come but that never happened so after 2 re-assignments we got to the correct company.
I assume fw rollback is the same as an upgrade by usb
Is there any downside to doing this?
Not really other than the inconvenience that while disconnected from the rs485 buss the pump wont change speeds so if you want to say use the spa, you'll need to cycle the breaker so it reconnects to use it

I have a service case with Pentair and someone is supposed to come take a look
You should have the contact number for the assigned service company - I would call them and make certain they have the software and hardware needed to do the pump firmware upgrade. If not , call pentair back and have it re-asssigned

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all of this. I am back on 1.064 and will contact the company assigned to the fix and explain what I know.
👍
Fyi, rollback to 1.64 makes the pump firmware issue less annoying but not go away. My pump would still randomly disconnect but instead of several times a day, it would be once or twice a month.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.