Update - Water In - Final pieces remain South Jersey Build

Re: New build in South Jersey - Pictures included

I wish there were more builders from NJ on here b/c my builder is telling me I have to have railings in the low end and the ladder in the deep end even with our bench in the deep end. Anthony Sylvan told us we would not with our love seat and the steps. They said code says they must have ingress and egress with hand held options, which I have tried looking into and can't remember where I filed the printout of the code for the pool. I don't mind the low end railing, but I really wanted to skip the deep end ladder. I just don't like the look with the free form pool.

Any ideas?

Also, still no working getting done since they didn't come Thursday for whatever reason, walls didn't go up until Friday and inspections are only Tuesday and Thursday, so today and tomorrow and waste.

One more question, I see alot of people on these builds putting their pads close to the house instead of near the pool. I imagine its for ease of use, proximity to the gas/electric, but I'm wondering if there are any other reasons I am missing, or reasons I should not have mine as currently positioned.

I know it was an absolute requirement for us in NH. Must have a deep end ladder and stair rail(s). We also have a swim out bench, but that did not count.

As for pad location, for me, it was the best location I had in the yard that allowed for the proper height vs the pool height. In the end next to the house was best, kept the stuff out of the way, and as you said, kept that crazy gauge electrical wire costs down a bit.

So today is Day 5 but nothing was done for one day (last Thursday for whatever reason).

Yesterday, they spent a lot of time working on the tanning ledge, they put in the skimmers and the returns. When I arrived home, I noticed only two returns, none on the tanning ledge shelf, so I wrote the salesman and the construction crew and am waiting to hear back today. There were alot of men working the last two days, and they work pretty hard. At one point, one of the grown men were sitting at my daughters picnic table attached to her swingset eating :eek: poor guy!

Here is the first skimmer...

Skimmer two in the shallow end...

Close up of tanning ledge, bigger than I realized it was, but I'm certain quite a bit of time will be spent here, we spent ALOT Of time with engineering sizing the tanning ledge, placing it and determining how many steps and the location thereof. The original plan was smaller and more awkward, if I can find a pic I will post. I feel this will comfortably fit the two ledge loungers I may eventually splurge on, or the amount of people who will likely enjoy the water without submerging. I think I will place 2 umbrella sleeves, one on each end. I've seen people place them so perfectly on here, and every time I think I've nailed where mine should go the following day the sun says NOPE today I'll show you! ha.

One more of the whole pool

Any input on the salt system....

I've asked them to make the pad larger, to allow for a heater in the future, since they are pre plumbing for this as well, I have also asked for decent spacing on the pad. I'll a picture of this area tonight, hopefully its an improvement over yesterday.

Lastly, I am STILL going back and forth on the decking. I've scoured everything trying to find a stamped concrete look that I love and will love for the life of this pool, and I am coming up empty. I do like the rock salt look with the concrete, but the PB hasn't seen it and my paver guy concurs. I'm not sure how it would fare up here. Also I have the concern as I do with brushed concrete, that any repairs would be a pain in the future. I asked the price for the stamped concrete that I am paying, and its $11/square foot. I called the paver installer who did the walkway in my yard. I'll post a picture of this if I can find one. Its EP Henry imperial pavers in a grey tone if I remember correctly. He stated to put the same pavers around the pool would cost me between $12-$14/square foot. Obviously, this isn't including coping. The PB is going to get me a quote, but says his standard (bottom of the line pavers) are $14-16/square foot. I wish I had kept the decking seperate from the pool contract, and I did spend some time talking to two local concrete companies but decided against it when they were so close in price. So I should have his quote in the next few days.

How many extra electrical outlets do most of you include? I know I will need some for the music, the heater, the margarita machine, and I already will need it run to the location of both lights. Is there anything else I am not thinking of?

Here is the paver walkway into the backyard...

Here is what the guys worked on for the second half of yesterday.

Still waiting on the inspector and torn between hoping for no rain so they can keep working and hoping FOR rain b/c we desperately need it in our area. I'm leaning towards rain AFTER 5! win win

If I were building mine again, I would give more thought to the lighting. We have one "flood lamp" with no accent lighting in the pool. Everyone has their own tastes, so you might not care about this. I have no clue what the extra costs might be.

If I were building mine again, I would give more thought to the lighting. We have one "flood lamp" with no accent lighting in the pool. Everyone has their own tastes, so you might not care about this. I have no clue what the extra costs might be.

We have two multi colored LED lights going in, and I read on another thread about a low voltage lighting system that runs from dawn to dusk. I am thinking about using that for the landscaping surrounding the pool When I was a kid, my dad had multi-colored lighting all around the pool, which I loved, but I always wanted better lighting IN the pool. Now I wonder if maybe I should have gone with 3.

Every time I open your thread and see the pictures, I sigh as if your pool shape is a piece of art! There's something unique and at the same time,simply elegant about it.

I can't answer your questions about what to use for decking, but I can share how I chose our decking materials.... We decided on pavers even though it will cost a little more than the concrete options. We put in a flagstone patio about 15 years ago, and many of the pieces did not fare well. But it was too expensive and impractical to do partial replacement. So with the pool being put in, we tore out the patio. I realized then how difficult that was, and it made me think about possible repairs in the future. You always hope you won't need repairs on anything under a deck, but I like to do as much prevention planning as possible. The paver decks I've seen around our area (Houston, TX) seem to outlive the concrete. So maybe in the long run, I'm saving money - or at least headaches. But I do know, sometimes budgets are what they are and can't be stretched. Then you just do what is absolutely necessary. Another consideration for me which may not apply to you, is that I'm older. So if repairs are needed in 10-15 years, that would probably be very difficult for me at that age. I know when we were younger, it was much easier to take a less expensive route knowing in 10-15 years we would have the money, time, and energy to replace.

Maybe this helps a little.... Take care! Suz.

Since nothing happened yesterday, I took a walk around the pool, checking the plumbing as it lies and the equipment pad. Asked a few questions and of course moved the $ for payment number 3. The gentleman who said - when negotiating it makes sense to push the payments out further into the build is SO right. As of Day 7 I will have paid 80% towards this pool, and no concrete has been poured, and we have weeks of work left...

Anyway here are some pictures of my equipment pad. I highly questioned adding as it is a little boring to some I've seen on here, especially the 5 pump build I saw yesterday of which I have major pool envy. Now I'm also questioning if I was too quick to decide on the bubblers. Ahh, the joys of too much research, too many amazing pools, and money you don't have to spend :)

This includes my daughter looking for the rock she got in her shoe while walking the pool with Mommy! haha

Comments, questions, ideas - all are welcome and encouraged :)

Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

Every time I open your thread and see the pictures, I sigh as if your pool shape is a piece of art! There's something unique and at the same time,simply elegant about it.

I can't answer your questions about what to use for decking, but I can share how I chose our decking materials.... We decided on pavers even though it will cost a little more than the concrete options. We put in a flagstone patio about 15 years ago, and many of the pieces did not fare well. But it was too expensive and impractical to do partial replacement. So with the pool being put in, we tore out the patio. I realized then how difficult that was, and it made me think about possible repairs in the future. You always hope you won't need repairs on anything under a deck, but I like to do as much prevention planning as possible. The paver decks I've seen around our area (Houston, TX) seem to outlive the concrete. So maybe in the long run, I'm saving money - or at least headaches. But I do know, sometimes budgets are what they are and can't be stretched. Then you just do what is absolutely necessary. Another consideration for me which may not apply to you, is that I'm older. So if repairs are needed in 10-15 years, that would probably be very difficult for me at that age. I know when we were younger, it was much easier to take a less expensive route knowing in 10-15 years we would have the money, time, and energy to replace.

Maybe this helps a little.... Take care! Suz.

Thank you SO much, I have to credit my PB with the design we were leaning towards the mountain pond, and I kept going back and forth for shallow end as to play area and volleyball etc. I wanted deep enough for some diving but no board, and to encompass all this with a tanning ledge not taking the whole thing over. He changed the design and the way he angled it really works with our yard. I love it, and just CAN NOT wait to be done. I agree on your point about repairs and replacement. I prefer the least amount of maintenance possible as I would rather spend the energy maintaining the beautiful pool and enjoying it :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

You really should get them to replace that single speed pump with a 2 speed, it will pay for itself in electrical savings within a fairly short time period (a year or so).

You really should get them to replace that single speed pump with a 2 speed, it will pay for itself in electrical savings within a fairly short time period (a year or so).

Actually emailed that to my PB earlier and haven't heard back. Thanks for the reminder. Hopefully it isn't' too late. And I am fairly certain I mentioned that early in the purchase process from reading this site for so long. Fingers crossed.

Thank you!!

I know it was an absolute requirement for us in NH. Must have a deep end ladder and stair rail(s). We also have a swim out bench, but that did not count.

As for pad location, for me, it was the best location I had in the yard that allowed for the proper height vs the pool height. In the end next to the house was best, kept the stuff out of the way, and as you said, kept that crazy gauge electrical wire costs down a bit.

I am in NH and we were not required to have railings in the deep end or shallow end. We didnt want them and it was never raised as a concern....

LOL. I was confused at first, as you didn't use the quote feature when you commented on my post. I thought "hey, that's exactly my situation!" ha ha.

Ahhhh..... back to the pool shape that puts me in a Zen state of mind!!! Great progress on all the equipment. I love the picture of your daughter in the background. She reminds me a little of me when I was about that age. I hated rocks in my shoes!! She must be sooo excited about the pool. How do you ever keep her distracted while waiting??!! Enjoy..... Suz.

Suz you have the best posts! We do daily walks together around the pool and talk about everything they did. She loves listening and hearing even though she doesn't understand it all completely it makes her feel grown up.

The pool guys I swear know when I am
Home and are never here! Hava

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14df9a474be07e5a4e5792adbd6eb6eb.jpg

Footings in and concrete laid.

1e1a29f01a1c87b47fb74858ecd4d698.jpg

day off again tomorrow - backfill Friday.

Still no answer on the paver costs or the upgrade of the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.