Update on water chemistry

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
So winter is upon us in SoCa, water temp running 59-63 degrees.

Ran all the tests this morning
FC=5.5
PH=7.6
TA=80
CH=350
CYA=55-60 (hate this test)
Salt=2800ppm
CSI= -0.32

I have my salt cell running at 10%, pump is running 6 hours per day at 1300rpm. Is there a point that I shut off the cell and manually dose chlorine?

Looks like TA is a bit high, but PH and TA give me a good CSI. Also when ph gets to 7.8 my csi is still running -0.14 which is good. Should I be lowering PH to 7.5 when it hits 7.8 since I can't measure PH above 7.8 and when it hits 8.0 the csi goes to 0.5.

CYA is a little low compared to the recommended numbers of FC of 5 with a cYA of 70. Should I add more or wait until spring?

I wouldn't touch a thing. Those are very good numbers.

I would test bi-weekly (or more if you like) and shut off the salt cell if your get much above 7-8 ppm....or you can shut it off and on to maintain what you have but that seem tedious.

Monitor your pH (keeping it below 8.0) and just wait til you open in Spring to mess with CYA.

You are in good shape.

I wouldn't touch a thing. Those are very good numbers.

I would test bi-weekly (or more if you like) and shut off the salt cell if your get much above 7-8 ppm....or you can shut it off and on to maintain what you have but that seem tedious.

Monitor your pH (keeping it below 8.0) and just wait til you open in Spring to mess with CYA.

You are in good shape.

Thanks, just to clarify, when I hit PH of 7.8, what should I target to drop it to? 7.2, 7.5?

Thanks. It was at 90, I dropped it PH to and left the spill over on a day. So if TA is 80 7.5 above that I need to drop TA by going to a 7.2 PH. Thanks. I thought my TA should be 60 or 70, that's not happening unless I do actively reduce TA, but my csi numbers are good. I will target TA of 80 and PH of 7.5 until summer.

Update.
FC- 5 (but I have to add about 28 oz once per week as it's dropping to 2.5)
Ph-7.8-7.9 ( has really stayed there all winter)
Ch-275
Cya-50
TA-80
Salt-2800
CSI- -0.19
Water temp 52-56

So I would drop ph, but even going to 7.7 pushes csi to -0.50 range, seems aggressive? The salt cell does not seem to be make adequate chlorine as I am have it to add about 28oz once per week. My csi stays in the negative with ph going even to 8.1��. I know the cold water is causing all this. So am I okay? I just have this resistance to a ph above 7.5 as during the summer 7.8 caused bad csi.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.