Update on test results and new questions.

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
My last test results were:
FC - 3.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.5
TA - 90
CH - 250
CYA - 75

The main thing I’ve done since my last post is focused on increasing my CYA. I feel comfortable that it’s between 70 and 80. At this reading, my FC was low, but I’ve increased the pump time so my SWG will deliver more chlorine and I’m sure I’m now over 4. I think I’m dialed in pretty good on chlorine and CYA but am open to further comments/suggestions.

My questions now are related to TA and CH.

Per the pool math app, the target TA is 70 with a range of 50 - 90. So, at 90, I’m at the high end of the range. However, my SWG suggests a range of 80 to 120. FWIW, the pool store suggests 80 - 125 - consistent with my SWG manual. Wondering what I should consider in deciding whether or not to adjust the TA.

Pool math has my CH target at 450 with a range of 250 - 650. So, at 250, I’m at the low end of the range. Here, my SWG suggests 200 - 400, much lower than the target and the range suggested by pool math. Again, FWIW, the pool store suggests 175 - 225. Again, wondering what I should consider in deciding whether or not to adjust the CH. I don’t understand the logic behind the higher recommended target by TFP, especially since I have a fiberglass pool.

Pool is clear and seems algae free. It also seems like I’m doing a lot less to keep it balanced than I was earlier in the year.

Thanks.

with a SWG lower is better for CH and TA.. I have always had my TA down about 50 and run a lower CSI as I have a vinyl pool.. The lower CSI and lower TA will keep you SWG clean and not have to worry about it clogging up with scale... Your pool in essence is a vinyl liner pool and will be happy at the lower level also your SWG will be happy there.. :)

as an added bonus with your TA down around 50 your PH will rise less than it is now, I only add acid 1 or 2 times a year (y)

Reactions: Frunobulax-
I suggest you leave everything alone and monitor your water. Ch is virtually irrelevant in a fiberglass pool. If your pH is stable, your TA is just perfect.......don't mess with it.

The discrepancies you find in various publications are just somewhat different ideas on "perfect" water but there is no such thing.

Does your water look nice? My bet is "yes". You do not live in the Southwest. csi is of little importance to pools in the North and Eastern United States.

In short, there appears to be nothing broken in your pool water chemistry........don't try to fix it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.